Thread: Powermatic 8" 60HH jointer

Question Powermatic 8" 60HH jointer

Hello
    I am thinking of investing in the Powermatic 8" 60HH helical Jointer for my shop.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=24984

I cannot find any reviews of this jointer online so I thought I would ask the community here if any one has one or what they think of this machine.
    Any feed back would be great.
    Michael

I have the 6" version and have been very happy it. The helical head is the only way to go any more.

Blog Entries
    Michael,

You might look at the Powermatic PJ-882 while your at it. I've had one about 6 years now. Great jointer. Combined table length is about 7 ft. Mine has the straight knives in it. I'll upgrade to a Byrd Head at some point.

Just my opinion but I think the Powermatic PJ-882 us the best 8" Jointer on the Market and the Grizzly 8" is probably the best value at about half the price of the Powermatic.

Good luck with your decision.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post

Just my opinion but I think the Powermatic PJ-882 us the best 8" Jointer on the Market and the Grizzly 8" is probably the best value at about half the price of the Powermatic.

PHM
    +1 on both points. The PJ-882 is really a well thought out jointer.

Yes you are right about that jointer . However I am considering the PM 60HH because of weight restrictions in my work space. The freight elevator is down and I will some how have to get the jointer up to the fourth floor. I am hoping I can do the base and the table in 2 separate trip up the very small main elevator.
    The PM 60HH weighs less.
    Michael

They ship the 60HH Jointer in two boxes. The base is just a steel box with the motor in it and doesnt way much. The other box has the bed assembly and fence. You could take out the fence to lighten it up a bit. You could put the box with the jointer bed in the elevator push the button and let it go up by itself and have somebody there to hold the door open when it gets there.

Either way you are going to have to put it together.

Good Luck!

Michael -
    I am sure the 60HH is nice. That said, I own both Grizzly and Powermatic tools. In my experience, the Grizzly tools I own (8 inch spiral headed jointer, and B0636X Bandsaw) are better in quality, performance, and fit and finish than the powermatic tool I own (PM15HH planer). I have put quilted mahogany, ebony, sheoak, tiger maple, cherry, and a bunch of other types of wood through my Grizzly jointer - perfect results every time. When making my bench, I put an 8 inch wide x 4 inches thick x 8 feet long plank on the jointer - it did not even break a sweat. I know you are asking about a Powermatic jointer, I am simply saying you can save a ton of money and buy a Grizzly without sacrifcing quality. Also, Grizzly stands behind their product time after time. Just a thought.

Question

This is all great feed back. Thank you
    Does any one have any thing to say about the new Steel City Jointers with the granite tables?
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...ead-40660.aspx

So I got my PM 60HH.
    My out let reads 30A 250V.
    I will have to switch out the outlet to receive the plug for the JOinter which runs on 230v. The circuit breaker for this outlet is 30a. Will I be ok with this set up>?

Thanx
    Michael