Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air hoses for the shop

Air hoses for the shop

I was wondering if anyone uses the hose reels for the air hose? I'm thinking of hanging one from the ceiling so the hose can be in easy reach but up off the floor. Any comments on this?
    Donny

Donny - I have the HF 25' hanging from my 9'ceiling. With a coil hose it reaches where I need it. Be sure to build a sturdy 2x4 mount as the reel itself is heavy.

Jeff

Donny, yes I've got a reel hanging by the lathe with 50' of hose. Can blow the whole shop out when necessary and have just the right amount of hose available to blow off a turning. Pretty nice. Lowe's has a 50 footer for $50.

Merry Christmas, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

I am with Jeff except I have the 50 foot gaiety and mine works pretty good...doesn't always catch and hold perfectly. That's my only complaint...otherwise it's been a real workhorse in my shop. Take a 20% off coupon with you when you go...that'll help.

Best of luck,
    John G

Rather than using a reel, I chose to put in multiple drops for air hose connections and only use what I need. I have a coiled version that's near my work bench and just use a typical 25' Flexeel hose from other drops when needed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have two mounted in my shop. One Amflo and one Harbor Freight. They are almost identical. I put one near the door to use to inflate tires and run the impact wrench outside and the other to the left of my bench. In retrospect, I think I should have put it to the right, but not completely sure about that as I am a righty.....

I use them in my shop... Same as Travis, one Amflo, and one HF. Both work great! I once had the yellow coil hoses in the shop, but after using them for a while they don't seem to recoil so well. I am MUCH happier with the retractable hose reels.

I have 2, both work great. Got mine from Homier Tool, but they are the same ones HF sells.

DSCF0636.jpgDSCF0635.jpg
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

I have a 100' on a hand reel, plus I split near the pump for shorter runs. The 100' allows me to work anywhere on our 8500 sq. ft. property. Additions on the home, roof, backyard projects, or even run out into the street to help the neighbors fill their tires.

Blog Entries
    I once had the yellow coil hoses in the shop, but after using them for a while they don't seem to recoil so well.
    Using an L shaped bracket on the wall by the drop (such as a paper towel holder, pvc pipe, galv pipe, scrap wood, whatever) allows you to quickly/easily put the coil back in organized fashion and remove the tension on the coils. This way they "remember" the coiled position instead of "remembering" the stretched out position (plus it keeps the coils nicely organized and out of your way when not not in use).
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

On the subject of air hoses...
    Do y'all prefer the rubber hoses or the harder plastic style? Does one last longer than the other?

I've had a rubber hose on a HF reel for quite a while, but it only receives occasional use. Now that I have basement space for a shop (recent move), I can see using it quite a bit more. I need to add either a drop at the other end of the basement, or I need to get another hose.

I still favor rubber hoses, esp the weight of the hose will be taken by a reel unit. Rubber does weight more than the other types, but it lays flat for me if I've got alot pulled off my hose reel and have it running all over the floor for some job away from the reel.. I don't get the other types like the poly or other to lay flat as easily as the old style rubber hoses. I have some black rubber hoses I bought from Grainger in the 80's when they were still WW Grainger! Who ever made it did a really nice job, both 50 footers are still working just fine. They're not mounted on a reel as they're my outside project hoses for my portable compressors. Carrying them around is about the only time I regret having just one type of air hose. Go to a well stocked store and compare the various types for yourself. Also, visit Fine Homebuilding and check out the article on air hoses that they did a few years ago . Should be in the archives somewhere. Good info on the pros and cons of each material used for air hoses.

Blog Entries
    If your shop is ever cold, the plastic (vinyl? whatever material, you know what I mean) type of hoses become very rigid. To the point where you cannot get them to lay flat at all and cannot coil them up again. So, in addition to what Callan just said, I prefer the rubber hose material as well.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I think the AmFlo is from Home Depot and I'm almost positive it has a rubber hose. It is 79.99. Lowes has a Kobalt for 59.99(I think). I'm not sure of the hose type. I will look for the rubber hose even if it costs a little more. Both are 50' in length.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Maiers View Post
    On the subject of air hoses...
    Do y'all prefer the rubber hoses or the harder plastic style? Does one last longer than the other?

I've had a rubber hose on a HF reel for quite a while, but it only receives occasional use. Now that I have basement space for a shop (recent move), I can see using it quite a bit more. I need to add either a drop at the other end of the basement, or I need to get another hose.
    The only way to go is with Flexeel Polyurethane reinforced hose. Unlike rubber, vinyl, or other hoses- it stays flexible and doesn't take a set in all temps. I have a Reelcraft reel on the ceiling over my assembly table. I got it used and replaced the rubber hose with Flexeel. You can get nice replaceable fittings with strain reliefs for it also. There is only one problem I found- when new it doesn't wind well. Due to static, etc. it builds on itself and jams the reel before it is fully retracted, until it gets a little dusty and dirty then it will slip against itself and wind properly. It is great stuff!
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 12-22-2010 at 5:11 PM.