Jason,

I'm about to buy a 22114 next week (on sale for $575, I just can't pass it up) to replace an old (it was my fathers) Craftsman Table Saw that has served me well, but is now the weakest link in my shop.

I was sold on the RIDGID TS 3650 until I realized that the motor sticks out the back (my shop is SMALL) - then I decided on trusty old Craftsman. But I was a little worried about the rip fence. I can't for the life of me figure out why they gave this saw a 25/25 rip capacity. 12/36 (or thereabouts) seems to make far more sense.

So, once I put the saw together and make sure it works (nothing bent or broken in transport) - I'm going to slide the rails over like you did. I already have a very nice router table, so I will probably just drop a blank melamine panel in to extend the table.

My question - how did you cut the angle-iron out around the front (and rear?) to clear the miter slots? I'm thinking hacksaw and... what??? a rotory tool (I better stock up on cutting disks?) followed by a lot of work with a file. I don't normally do metalwork - and I don't have access to anything fancy (plasma cutters, etc)

Also - you mention that you had to drill and tap a hole in the cast iron. I tried that on my old table saw and gave up after about an hour. I couldn't make more than a small dent in it. What type of drill bit did you use?

TIA -

bd