Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Drywall Lift

Question Using Drywall Lift

I will soon be ready to drywall the shop. I have 10' ceilings and am wondering how difficult is it to use a drywall lift? I have never used one or seen one used. How many people are needed? Is it usable with one person?

Matthew,

I helped a friend drywall a 9' ceiling a number of years back. We used a rental lift, at the time I had never seen one before. They are awesome. The one we rented came apart into pieces small enough to fit into a car trunk, and made it effortless to get the 4x8 sheets we were using up to the ceiling. It's easier to muscle the sheets of drywall around if you have two guys, but there is nothing about the lift that precludes use by one person.

To use (at least the one I used) you start with a sheet standing on edge on the floor,then slide or lift it onto the cradle of the lift. Once it is centered you tilt the cradle over to lay it flat - parallel with the ceiling. Then you grab the hand wheel and crank the sheet up against the ceiling. From there you just have to get on your ladder and shoot some screws into it. Lower the lift and repeat as necessary. Makes an otherwise very tough job easy, even for an amateur like me.

Now taping over your head - I can't help you there. Good luck.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

I used one to put plywood on my shop ceiling . . . . take your time and let the lift do the work.

Make sure the lift you rent is in good shape and ROLLS easily . . . do one sheet at a time . . . rock hangers will sometime put multiple sheets on and screw as they feed it off.

Good luck,
    Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

100% worth the rental cost. I drywalled the ceiling in my shop by myself and it wasn't bad. They're really easy to use.

The Sheetrock lifts are awesome but you need to have a clear floor. They don't work well in a cluttered area. I used one to lift 10'x4'x5/8" sheets and needed a second person to help me lift the sheets on to the lift due to the weight of the sheets. I have tried using the T-bar/ladder method but I am too old to try it at my age.
    David B

Ditto on what's been said. Never used one before, but we hung 21 sheets on the shop ceiling in one day. Hired a guy to help me. And then got a great deal from a drywall guy to tape, about $200 for the ceiling and stairwell. We also used the lift to install two Hot Dawg style heaters later in the fall. The heaters weighed about 75# each and it made a difficult job a piece of cake. Had them both up in one day.
    Reality continues to ruin my life!

Never used one but when I hung the rock on my ceiling I used a cleat so the rock slipped into the cleat and I could push up the other end and screw it off.

Buy the drywall screwgun bit which will set the screws and use a drill not the impact drive. The impact driver is a little too rough for hanging the rock.

I would highly recommend it. I did a high garage ceiling about 25 years ago and it was a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Duperron View Post
    Matthew,

I helped a friend drywall a 9' ceiling a number of years back. We used a rental lift, at the time I had never seen one before. They are awesome. The one we rented came apart into pieces small enough to fit into a car trunk, and made it effortless to get the 4x8 sheets we were using up to the ceiling. It's easier to muscle the sheets of drywall around if you have two guys, but there is nothing about the lift that precludes use by one person.

To use (at least the one I used) you start with a sheet standing on edge on the floor,then slide or lift it onto the cradle of the lift. Once it is centered you tilt the cradle over to lay it flat - parallel with the ceiling. Then you grab the hand wheel and crank the sheet up against the ceiling. From there you just have to get on your ladder and shoot some screws into it. Lower the lift and repeat as necessary. Makes an otherwise very tough job easy, even for an amateur like me.

Now taping over your head - I can't help you there. Good luck.
    Exactly my sentiments...make sure the one you rent has a cradle (most do) or you will have a b*tch of a time getting the sheets on.

Also rent a drywall screw gun. Trust me. I have the DeWalt, works great.

The best part about them is the ability to position the sheet exactly where you want it. Not at all easy with the old 2x4 T and ladder approach. Once you try one you will be a believer after the very first sheet. I usually do it by myself, smiling the whold time. Really a treat on angled ceiling like my bedroom I did a month ago and the angled porch this past summer. I'm 63 and I believe an 80 year old would not have a hard time; well maybe lifting a sheet by his/herself.
    -bernie

Near the age of 60, I was able to hang the 5/8" sheetrock on the ceiling of my shop by myself. As said previously...clear the decks, take one sheet at a time. They work great and it was my first time.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The lift is very easy to use...and worth every penny of the rental fee.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depending on how long it will take you it might be worth just buying one. You can get them for under $200 and rental cost for a week would be half that at least. Sell it on craigslist when your done.

Like others said, they are easy to use. Regarding purchase of a "cheap one", I would think twice. I borrowed my friends lift that he bought for $199 and I had lots of trouble with the cable jumping pulleys. I spent more time fixing it than using it. If I had to do it again, I would rent a pro quality one which I believe is designed better.

Bob

Discovered them years ago. As someone who during his building career often worked alone, the drywall lift was a miracle. Never bought one; always rented. What others have said about positioning the lifted sheets is right on.