View Poll Results: Which did you spend the most on?

Voters
1162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band Saw

122 10.50%
  • Dust Collector

58 4.99%
  • Drill Press

4 0.34%
  • Jointer

50 4.30%
  • Lathe

200 17.21%
  • Planer

77 6.63%
  • Sander/Surfacer

43 3.70%
  • Shaper

9 0.77%
  • Table Saw

506 43.55%
  • Other

93 8.00%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

Doing what I should have done long ago, I waded through my shop...appraising my equipment. Listing what I paid for each, what my bottom line would be if I had to sell them, and what I would want to get for them. For instance, my DJ20 jointer: Paid $400, but a Byrd head on it for $300, and a mobile base for about $100. So, I PAID $800, could easily get $900 to $1000 for it, but could probably get $1200 from the right buyer.

This, after going through my entire shop, made me realize which machine I had the most "in". And I was kinda surprised. I wouldn't have thought it before I started buying equipment. For me, it is my lathe. A 1981 PM90. Now I bought it for $300. 3 phase converter $145; poteniometer, reverse switch, and box for those two things $50; digital tach $100; risers (to make it an 18"er) and other stuff (not including tools for it) $350; paint and refinishing materials $50.

So, for me, it is my lathe at $1000.

New or used, what is yours? You don't have to say how much you have "in"...

EDIT: Sorry, I could only list 10 options.
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 12-22-2010 at 11:27 PM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

My table saw, by a good bit, but not only was it a doozy, it was one of the few machines I bought new (the other one being a horizontal slot mortiser.)

I'm more than a bit surprised to see dust collector coming in at #2, although I guess that could change with more votes.

I would be interested to see which piece fell into the "other" catagory. I meant to add it in my post that if you vote "other", please specify...

Thanks all for participating.
    I drink, therefore I am.

My three most expensive tools thus far, in descending order (all bought new), were "OTHER".....Minimax FS-350 jointer/planer with Horizontal Slot Mortiser, MM20 Bandsaw with 1" Lenox Trimaster & other blades, PM-66 Tablesaw W/Biesemeyer Commercial Fence.
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 12-23-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I voted for Dust Collector, but sales tax was the deciding factor..

I believe that the Dust collector is the most used machine in the shop. Irregardless of what your doing, its likely chugging away in the back ground.. If I include all the pipe and blast gates, its hands down the most expensive machine I have ..

The DC is a Felder RL-160 which I bought new..

Secondary would be a Laguna / Griggio 12" Jointer which I bought as a demo unit.. and an SCM Sandya Win Wide Belt sander which I bought used.

I voted tablesaw, but actually, it was a MM CU300. Sooooo. . . it was a 12" tablesaw, 12" jointer/planer and a shaper (I didn't buy the equip for the horizontal mortiser, but can add if I ever feel the need). Next most expensive was the E16 bandsaw purchased with it.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Blog Entries
    I voted for dust colllector. The machine itself isnt the most expensive tool I've purchased but the complete system would be.

PHM

I voted "Other".
    I'm into my Festool TS55EQ for about $850 with the three rails I also bought.
    That's actually a tie w/my compressor (when you add up all the nail guns that go with it).

My table saw - a Ridgid TS3660 - was one of the lesser expensive tems - all things considered.
    My actual out of pocket cost was around $288.00 for it brand new.
    I used a Home Depot rewards credit card for a year and accumulated points that I could cash in for gift cards & waited for a $100.00 off sale that HD used to run on a regular basis and that brought the price way down.

Blog Entries
    Bandsaw and wood lathe cost the same... I voted for bandsaw.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Easy...Industrial Sawstop
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 12-23-2010 at 5:58 AM.

Well, the table saw and drum sander were within a few pennies, so I voted sander as it was a lonely category. If tooling were included than my used Minimax shaper would have won, and if replacement cost was the criteria, the Minimax shaper and 20" Meber BS I believe would be neck in neck for the lead.

3 hp Unisaw. But - I am including in my thinking 4 Forrest blades, Forrest Dado, 52" Biese, Incra, tenoning jig, 8 - 10 ZCI, plus Lord knows what other accessories are laying around here................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Penning View Post
    Easy...Industrial Sawstop
    Same here. It may not be worth the most but I just got deals on everything else.

John Deere 3320 wins though really but it just moves wood from the trailer to the shop and is not a woodworking tool I guess.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-23-2010 at 1:51 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

It was a toss up between the dust collector, including all the ducting etc. and the table saw. However, considering the time I spent putting the ducting together, and then redoing it because I hadn't done sufficient homework first, I gave the nod to the dust collector.

Mike, you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't asking which had the highest value, but rather which did you actually spend the most on. My Uni was probably the most expensive, but I got it (plus a boat load of other stuff at the same time, from the same guy) for a measly $300. Bottom line, I didn't have $1200-1500 to spend on a Uni in that condition. Therefore, didn't pay for it. But I DID buy a PM90 for cheap ($300) and fix 'er all up to a total of $1000...which means the lathe is what I spent the most amount of money on.
    I drink, therefore I am.