Thread: New Bandsaw - Question on Table

New Bandsaw - Question on Table

I'm in the process of getting a new Grizzly G0513X bandsaw assembled. After installing the table, I checked the top with a good straightedge and was surprised to find the side of the table with the slot is not flat from front to back. It's high in the middle by about 3/32". The left side (no slot) is quite flat.

Also, the miter slot is not parallel or square to the table edges - it's at least 1/16" off over the length of the slot. The table edges seem square to each other as best I can determine.

I'm a little concerned at this point. But i don't know a lot about bandsaws, so I'd like some feedback from those with more experience. Are my expectations too high?

Thanks,

Dave

Sorry, but I've got to ask: do you have the table alignment pin in? If not, that might account for the table.

Don't know about the miter slot, though.
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

It doesn't matter if the miter slot is parallel to the edges of the table. It only matters that the slot is parallel to the blade. As for the crown in the table, that is the side with the miter slot and the slot for removing the blade. Do you have the pin in? I have a G0513X2 and never measured my table so I can't tell you what mine is. You might be able to shim under the back bolt(pulling the center down and pushing the back up) and see if that helps.

Thanks - I did have the pin in. The pin does have an effect, but that side of the table is not flat with or without the pin. Is there some criteria for how far to insert the tapered pin? And is the flatness of the table on the slot side not a concern?

Yep, I realize that main issue is getting the miter slot parallel to the blade, and I imagine there is sufficient play in the trunnion mounting holes and bolts to allow this. But I guess my concern is that then the table itself is not square to the blade, which makes the fence not square to the blade, requiring another adjustment to compensate.. Sorry for being a dufus, but just trying to determine if there is a problem I should be concerned about.

I would contact Grizzly and see what they will do to correct it. If it's a new saw, you should expect the table to be flat.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by David Castor View Post
    Is there some criteria for how far to insert the tapered pin?
    I just tap mine in with a rawhide mallet. You shouldnt pound it in very hard because it should be able to be removed with just your hand.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Just to update this thread - I've traded a couple of e-mails with Grizzly Tech Support and sent a few photos. A new table has been ordered for me - I will let you know how the new one turns out.

Dave