Thread: Belt Problem

Belt Problem

how tight does the belt need to be , on laser engravers I had a bad thing happen while i was engraving a test peice the laser seem to skip and messed up my Job,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dean Fowell

Support Engineer
    Cad Cam Solutions

Georgia USA Previously Down Under
    Corel, Inkscape, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Lasercut 5.3, PhotoGrave 3.0 Radan, Tool Shop Cad Cam, AutoCad 2013, Radan Cad Cam , Visiual Macro
    FLC1490 80 watt, Shopbot

Dean; this could also be caused by having the belt too tight causing the X axis stepper motor to stall and skip steps.

Adjust the belt tension according to the manufacture's specs.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

could this be a weather thing? Cold weather causes the belt to tighten? then create this??
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Trotec Speedy 360 80 watts, Corel x8, AI, PhotoShop CS8
    Epilog Legend 24EX 35 Watt (DOA) still selling parts,(some stil in the box or package)
    Universal VLS4.60 60 Watt (leaving soon)

is this a belt problem too?
    Glenn Braddy
    SEF TACTICAL, LLC
    Florida & Texas

Trotec Speedy 360 80 watts, Corel x8, AI, PhotoShop CS8
    Epilog Legend 24EX 35 Watt (DOA) still selling parts,(some stil in the box or package)
    Universal VLS4.60 60 Watt (leaving soon)

To me this looks like it is a mechanical problem! Gunk in drive pulleys, or a build up of stuff in the valleys of the belts. Does the carriage move FREELY when powered off--no "jitters" or hesitancies across the entire field??? This is my first guess.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by GLENN BRADDY View Post

is this a belt problem too?

I can relate

Dean, maybe my story can help you

I recently bought a used machine and I have been battling a similar problem with one of my belts skipping. After a couple months of diagnosing the problem I determined the previous owners lost one of the nuts used to tension the belt.

After replacing the nut, I used the nut and a set screw to tension the belt. I moved the X axis forward and back, like it was rapiding home at the end of a job. I could feel which side was slipping and tensione the belt on that side. I kept tightening until I did not feel any slippage. Then I squared up and was good to go.

Glen, not sure what your problem is, my laser did do something kind of similar, but it was because I didn't tighten the lens all the way.
    Trotec Speedy 30W (firing at about 34W) 29"x17"
    CNC machinist using Mastercam for Mills and Lathes
    Mechanical Engineer using Solidworks and Pro Engineer Wildfire
    Aquariumist Extrodinaire

Thanks Russell,

im going to mess with it today im leaving work soon the phones are not ringing this week so what the heck call it a day ,
    Dean Fowell

Support Engineer
    Cad Cam Solutions

Georgia USA Previously Down Under
    Corel, Inkscape, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Lasercut 5.3, PhotoGrave 3.0 Radan, Tool Shop Cad Cam, AutoCad 2013, Radan Cad Cam , Visiual Macro
    FLC1490 80 watt, Shopbot