Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Projects that sell

Merry Christmas All!

I think I'm beginning to get the message, be careful what you ask for...and what's wrong with that when it's Lathe, or Spiral Head planer? Ok, now seriously, small time probably is better; I'll keep it down to selective projects to begin with.

Let's all not forget, we also do this to put some very nice pieces in our own houses. Maybe that will be my next thread.

Thanks for the feedback!

Greg

My experience is that making a business out of a hobby is the best way to go. Sure it does spoil the hobby (by defintion it is no longer a hobby), but it makes your job awesome.

Why wouldn't you want to do something that you love enough to do for free for a living? IMO there is something sad about working a 9 to 5 counting the minutes to retirement so you can fill your days with the things you love to do. Or rather it's sad to think that that's the way it's supposed to be.

I can count on one hand the things that make me happier than walking into my shop and taking a moment to look around and think about how much I love doing what I do. Of course the rest of the day is frought with problems and one stressful situation after another, impossible deadlines, financial ruin around every corner, less than pleasant clients, imperfect vendors, employees, and contractors, but when the chips start flying and stuff that didn't exist that morning takes shape right in front of me by my hand I get at least a few moments of heaven every day. That's a lot more than I can say for your average laborer in almost every line of work.

Greg I'm a Clock nut and brother I can see why these would sell , outstanding craftsmanship ........Love them ...I think word of mouth should and may cover you up with orders ........thanks for sharing ......
    Last edited by Marshall Border; 01-02-2011 at 9:20 AM.
    Usually busier than a cat in a sand box