Thread: Wood veneer interesting use

Wood veneer interesting use

Has anyone played with this a bit?

http://cardsofwood.com/products/laser-printable-veneer

I had a few sheets of LaserBits Walnut so I had to try it
    with my Xerox Phaser. It came out pretty cool!
    Definatly has some potential.

These guys are quite a bit cheaper and have a larger selection.

Let me know if anyone has worked with this and what you think!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

That looks pretty cool. I can envision color printing on an inlay created with the laser. I have an Okidata laser printer that does great color. I might give this a try. $1.35 a sheet is cheap enough. Thanks for posting it.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I am going to order some next week, I always find some neat stuff
    and then I have to wait to play with it!

Happy Holidays!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I've ordered their veneer and it is pretty cool. Haven't tried running it through my printer but I have cut it with the laser. These guys have been doing micro veneer for many years and produce a quality product. Their thickest (what they can postcard stock) is still pretty thin. Great for bookmarks and ornaments. If I remember, the 23x23 size is the best buy and easy to cut down to whatever size you need. Give it a try.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

5. I buy from Cards of Wood, great product. They will cut the sheet in half if you ask. This year I made and sold gift tags and book marks.

This stuff looks pretty cool....for those who have used them. Which species tends to laser the best? I may print to try something new, but overall would like to engrave business cards, and such. Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Tim
    Tim Baude
    Legends Awards & Custom Engraving
    Epilog Helix 24, 45w, CorelDRAW X4

Quote Originally Posted by william gardner View Post
    I buy from Cards of Wood, great product. They will cut the sheet in half if you ask. This year I made and sold gift tags and book marks.
    What's a recommended power/speed and dpi setting for engraving cards? Even with the thickest they have .025 it looks like it would be real easy to overpower it. I am going to order some for cards and bookmarks. Do you use the printable paper back or the other?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

8. I will have to get back to you. All of the information is in my shop. If you would like E-Mail me at wmgardner1@comcastdotnet and I will sent some of the items that were cut from the veneer.

Michigan Bill
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-28-2010 at 5:36 AM. Reason: removed email link

Quote Originally Posted by william gardner View Post
    I will have to get back to you. All of the information is in my shop. If you would like E-Mail me at and I will sent some of the items that were cut from the veneer.

Michigan Bill
    Bill:
    Sending you an e-mail
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-28-2010 at 5:37 AM. Reason: removed email link

The folks at Cards of Wood laid up custom sized sheets - 12 x 18 - for our old Universal. Made bookmarks with my students - sold them by the hundred - from their card stock thickness. They were more than happy to make custom sheets for us - maple on one side, walnut / cherry / ash on the other...we were incredibly pleased. There was occasionally some issues with pinholes in the cherry showing the adhesive veneer layer, but other than that, great stuff. Many uses. Consider warping / buckling with some veneers (i.e. maple) if only engraving one ply.

Paper stock thickness wasn't something we dealt with often. Requires much practice. Hope this helps.