Thread: How old is my radial arm saw.

How old is my radial arm saw.

I have motor #,s, I have a frame # but I can't find model #.

I know it's a Rockwell 33-790 or 701 or 792 or 793. Actually I don't know. I bought this thing about six years ago and completely went through it putting in new bearings etc and don't use it so would like to sell it but I would like as much info on it as possible when I list it. It's a 12 in turrett (sp) and would just like to find where the model number is located. I have tried posting in all numbers in different search engines with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could be the tag was removed, on mine and others, its up on the non-rotating arm. The last digit or two is probably different depending on motor configuration. Posting a picture would help. OWWM.org has some serial number listings, though this saw may be newer than those lists call out.

Frank, At a guess, a 790. They wer 790,890,990, etc. I'd like some pics and PM me a price. I've been looking for a 12"er.

Most RAS run in the $150-$250 dollar range. Most of them I see around here are Craftsman 10" and that's a common price. Yours may be a little different. Good luck.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    Most RAS run in the $150-$250 dollar range. Most of them I see around here are Craftsman 10" and that's a common price. Yours may be a little different. Good luck.
    Donny
    A Rockwell/Delta 12" RAS is for sure "a little different" They are all cast iron construction with a "real" 1.5hp motor rather than the underpowered motors found on the Sears. Your RAS should command more money than a Craftsman. But, it's a buyer's market, and there is a glut of RASs (especially Craftsman) on CL. So don't expect much over $350 in return for your refurbishing. You might get lucky though! I gave $300 for a nice clean '90s Delta 33-890 last summer.

The big difference in early or late Rockwell/Delta 12" RASs lies in the track arm and the motor. Earlier carriage bearings ride in milled grooves inside the cast iron arm. If the groove becomes worn, the saw becomes inaccurate. That is their main deficit. In later 33-890 saws, carriage bearings ride on hardened rods inside the arm. If the rods become worn, they can be turned 180 degrees to a fresh surface. Nice touch--just like on the larger Rockwell/Delta 14", 16" 18" RASs.

Motors of earlier Rockwell 12"s were the round type with a semi-curcular blade guard. Later models have an odd-shaped composite motor housing. The blade guards are more square-ish. The Rockwell/Delta 12s are one of the more desireable RASs because of the Hp. and the turret head. You can advertised on CL locally, here in the SMC Classifieds (if you are a member) and on OWWM's "BOYD" Good luck!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Currently on my local Craigs List there is an older 12" delta that is reported as being rebuilt. It is three phase, but has the inverter installed and included. He is asking $300 and it has been listed for a couple weeks.

Rick Potter

Gentlemen. Thankyou so much for your quick answers and info.

Mark. You have email.

Chip.
    The bearings do indeed ride on rods. I remember one I thought looked a little rough in on spot and sanded on it untill It forever.
    I'm not sure but I think they may have incorporated that in other models also.

I'm working on the pic thing. It would seem I need to put the pics on some server before I can move them here or send them buy private message.
    I'm old and slow and have to wait untill my last to braincells multiply before I can learn new things.

Thanks again. This is a great place.

Try this to date your Delta tool. http://wiki.owwm.com/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx