Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 131 1/2" band saw blade? What do you do for odd sized blades?

131 1/2" band saw blade? What do you do for odd sized blades?

As my earlier post stated, I am looking at the Grizzly G0513X2 and I noticed that the specs. states the blade length is 131 1/2". Took a quick look at Woodcraft to see some options available and I don't see anything unless you request custom welded blades to size. Is this typical, or am I missing something? This seems like it would be a pain??

Industry standard is to make a blade to whatever darn length you want. Check out Suffolk Machinery (for Timberwolf), Olson, Highland, Lenox, etc. Woodcraft caters to a handful of standard sizes but they are not a bandsaw blade place. They're a general woodworking retailer. It's sorta' like Home Depot isn't a lumber yard even though they carry lumber. Woodcraft's "custom" blade length selection is absolutely pitiful, and it's a shame because they get a lot of other things right.

Anyone who's a real bandsaw blade supplier won't consider it a "custom" blade (even though they may call it that) any more than your bartender considers your order a "custom" order. You're simply ordering what you need.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-23-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    As my earlier post stated, I am looking at the Grizzly G0513X2 and I noticed that the specs. states the blade length is 131 1/2". Took a quick look at Woodcraft to see some options available and I don't see anything unless you request custom welded blades to size. Is this typical, or am I missing something? This seems like it would be a pain??

I don't buy bandsaw blades at Woodcraft but Highland, Suffolk Machinery and Lenox all offer blades in the 131 1/2" length as I suspect most everyone else does.. There's lots of bandsaws from the GO513 family out there...including mine.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Rick,

My local ACE hardware carries Olsen blades and will special order them for me. My blade size is larger than most the commercial places stock.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-23-2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My 16" Walker Turner isn't a commonly stocked size either, but I have no trouble getting good blades special order. The only advantage of one of the import 14"s in my mind is that you can buy blades off the shelf.

I order mine from spectrum supply. Other than the blades that came with my FB540 Ive only bought and used carbide blades.
    Fullerbuilt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cicciarelli View Post
    Is this typical, or am I missing something? This seems like it would be a pain??
    A lot of people are unaware that the normal bandsaw blade consumer has the blades made. You will get better quality at a better price. It is not considered a "custom" job by any means.

Blog Entries
    Check BC saw online. They make blades to order. I think they use Starrett.

Talk to Bobby at www.woodworkerstoolworks.com they custom make any blade length,any tooth arrangement,all kinds of steel.Family owned and operated and he's a woodworker,nice to talk to him asking for advice----Carroll

I have had much success with www.bandsawbladesdirect.com Their big brand is Lenox.
    Brian E. Cosgrove

Call any of the manufacturers named above. Tell them the model of saw [and/or length you want], what you want to do with it and they will have advice for material, size and tooth set. They KNOW the business and it can be a learning experience just chatting with them. I've always been impressed by how considerate the folks at Suffolk have been for what has to be a small order for them.

Its a "custom" order only in that you will get a blade that suits your needs best. They'll whip the factory blades your machine comes with. You'll have your blade(s) in a couple of days via UPS.

Rick, as everyone has mentioned, you'll get far better blades for less money at a blade supplier.

Since they cut each blade from a coil of blade stock, then weld and grind the blade, every blade is a custom blade.

Regards, Rod

It is pretty easy to make your own. Buy one oversize then cut, bevel the ends, braze, cleanup and use. Might want to practice a little with an old one first.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Blog Entries
    I highly recommend Highland Supply http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...s705to137.aspx Woodslicer if you are going to resaw. Their order process has you pick the length and the 1/2" WS comes in 131 1/2.

Highland hardware has all you need! <G>

That size is pretty standard now. Real blade place's will be able to fill your need.

Greg A
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire