Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that hates a DW735 Planer?

I guess the better point I was trying to make was that maybe the dw735 isn't a bad machine as much as spending 15 minutes running around my planer to take two 8/4 maple boards down to 1 7/8 just isn't any fun.

My 735 handled white oak at about 12 inches wide... i was only taking about 1/32 and had a new blade... but it cut nicely. Later, I tried to milll some red oak treads and risers I took off an old staircase in my house. Had trouble taking 1/64--never quite figured out why except the wood was unusually hard--perhaps because of age. I am now looking for alternatives to mill the red oak, but I find that the planer works acceptably for all my other needs.

Count me as another happy 735 owner. I have a hobby shop so admittedly have not run a ton of wood thru this machine. Yes it is noisy, ah make that very noisy, but it does exactly what I bought it to do.

If I wanted something more, better, then yes I would buy one of those big stationary models.
    I truly believe in buying the best quality tools in each category,and strongly feel that the 735 is exactly that in the the category of lunchbox planers.

Since I will never be more then a hobby woodworker, I don't forsee buying another planer.
    Lori K

I have the 735 and have been very happy with it. Sure, I'd prefer to have a big floor model with spiral heads, but the DeWalt does the job and the price was right.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wink

Hi Dave. Yes, I had a piece of kit in mind that I screwed up on - specifically the band saw I sold before buying the Agazzani. A reasonable quality piece of Euro built kit which was correctly specified as having 300mm vertical capacity.

I read so many gushing mag reviews of that saw, and felt safe buying it even though there wasn't as is usual a lot of hard performance data about. Not to mention it claimed the ability to run a blade of over 25mm wide which implied to my mind a certain re-saw capability too.

It'd run the wide blade all right if you were cutting thin material, but there's no way it could tension even a 19mm blade well enough to get past about 6in depth of cut without vibration and drift setting in.

I was just getting into woodworking equipment at the time (late 90s), and my inexperience left me wide open - I honestly had no idea just how minimalist you needed to be in your reading of published data to avoid getting taken in by what it might seem to imply. I can't say I'm familiar with the DW planer, but hearing that it struggled with anything more than a very light cut at it's full width rang all the same alarm bells for me.

The bandsaw seemed to be a relatively high end model, and it certainly should have been at the cost and the mag commentaries - but the mistake I made was that I didn't realise that the unspoken caveat was that it was being reviewed against toy machines in the hobby rather than genuinely professional context.

You're right too that publishing comprehensive performance data wouldn't stop many having problems - people don't always do their homework. But after many years as a mechanical engineer in industry I was no innocent so far as buying machinery is concerned - but I still got burned that time....

The one factor that has hopefully kept me on the track in my recent round of machine upgrades has been guys like yourselves here on Sawmill Creek sharing your experience - it's still damn difficult to separate stuff out based on the published data.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-26-2010 at 3:59 PM.

I like my 735. I use it on softwoods mostly. Gives a nice finish. Little snipe and no louder than the Ryobi I used to have. The chip discharge to my Dust collector works perfectly.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I am still using my Delta 22-540 that was bought in the mid 90's. I changed the cutterhead bearing twice and make sure the blades are sharp. Yes it's loud and has it's limits.
    Charlie Jones

I have one as well- and Russell said it best. I happen to be person B and have had trouble. That being said when I send small pieces through I get along with it ok. Other than that if used like it was intended I believe it should work like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    Haven't had any experience with the 735 but I'm not a fan of lunch box planers in general. They work great as long as you aren't trying to actually use them to capacity. It would not surprise me in the least to have two different people have completely opposite experiences with an identical lunchbox planer, person A uses it for furniture parts that are consistently small and require just a few light passes, person B consistently tries running 8-10" wide 8 foot long pieces of rough-sawn white oak through the thing needing to take 1/4 - 1/2 inch off each board.

Yeah, person B is not going to be happy with any lunch box planer on the planet. I'm not saying you can't make it work by adding infeed/outfeed support etc. Just not really the right tool for that job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I got this planer when they were on sale from Home depot for about 250. I then bought a second one and sold it so I ended up only paying about 75 bucks for this thing. I can't stand it. It is hideously under powered. I am lucky if I can get a 64th off of anything wider then 6 inches. It's loud and even though I have built a really nice stand with infeed and outfeed tables I still get snipe from time to time. I often wonder what people do with all of the other lunch box planers because as far as I know the 735 is supposed to be the best one by a mile and if it was any more useless I would just start looking for an old number 7. I spend more time trying to dimension wood then I do anything else and it is driving me crazy. I hear about people buying Byrd heads for their 735 's and I cant believe it.
    Hold on, you got this planer for $250? That is an incredibly good price, maybe you got the "other" Dewalt? What wood are you planing? With Maple or other hardwoods I was able to plane a 12" board @ about 1/32" to 1/64" on my _old_ lunchbox planer. Yes, they are extremely loud & I can't believe that people are buying Byrd heads for them either.

For snipe, get a long piece of Melamine that is ripped to the width of your planer. Attach cleats at each end against the existing planer infeed/outfeed tables to prevent the melamine from sliding through the planer. Now you have a slick & long feed table. Support each end of the Melamine so it is flat using your existing work stands. If you are still getting snipe you'll need to adjust your rollers but I believe the Dewalt has a locking head so there shouldn't be an issue? You may need to call Dewalt support for more help.

Having said all that, a large floor standing planer is a major improvement. The spiral head is nice for reducing tear-out on difficult wood but does not eliminate the need for finish sanding.

Ya Home Depot was closing them out. Believe it or not there were people that got them for 140 bucks by the end.

This sounds more like " I hate my lunchbox planer" thread mor than a DW735 hating thread. I had most of the same complaints from my Delta 22-580. I moved to the G0453Z and can't be happier.

I don't get it. I have planed thousands of feet with my 735 with nothing but great results. You need a sharp set of blades or it will not cut well at all. I can easily take 1/16" off of 6 inch oak boards with no problem at all. When in doubt change the blades and see if it works better for you.

I liked mine before I put a Byrd head on it, and like it even more since I did that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

DW735 works for me

I have used the 735 for about five years now and it gets the job done I need. It definietly can't hog off a lot of wood at once, but then how much power can be expected from a 110 volt tool? I have put several thousand board feet through mine and when it gets slow I know its time to change the blades. On the other hand I have a friend with a 5HP planner and there is just no comparison in efficiency or noise. bob.

Just wanted to give an update to this thread. I did some woodworking for the first time in about 3 weeks last night and if it is possible I hate the Planer now more then I did the last time I used it. I will admit that the planer does leave a pretty nice surface but the snipe is terrible and I have a drum sander I run everything through anyway so that doesn't really matter all that much to me. I also realized the last week I have kind of wanted to start this project but was dreading firing the planer up to get all of my wood dimensioned. I have come to the conclusion that even though the planer gets the job done, I want to enjoy the process of Woodworking and there is no possible way for me to enjoy it with this planer.