Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Am I the only one that hates a DW735 Planer?

I don't know why they call these thing lunchbox planers......These things are so slow and underpowered that it would take you a least all day to plane large quantity of wood when you can do it quickly before lunch or even a coffee break with a decent floor model planer. Lunchbox planers makes you miss your lunch!

I also hated mine. It went through knives like crazy and the cut was meh.

My feed rollers where always problematic and worst of all it made a giant mess. The mess is not the machines fault though so i cant blame that on it.

But i love mu new Felder by comparison. It also cost me as much as a Hyundai vrs a nice pair of shoes.

I still use my 8 yr old 12" DW "lunchbox" planer and mostly run red oak through it. I get snipe from the oak more than any other type of wood. I also run a lot of walnut, maple and pine through it with less snipe. I've pushed this little machine beyond what is expected of it so for that reason I've grown to like it. When coupled with a loud shop vac dust collection if I don't wear serious earplugs I will probably go deaf! I think if you keep replacing the blades or at least keep them sharp it will last for years.
    Last edited by David Tolsky; 12-18-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Misspelled words

I've used my 735 for several years and my original opinion that if used within it's limitations, it works well still holds true. However, another dislike I have with it besides the noise and necessity of taking very shallow cuts are the rubber feed rollers. They tend to take an impression even if you try to feed randomly into both sides of the planer. They frequently get coated with dust and lose their grip so cleaning them with MS becomes a major time waster. I'll replace the rubber rollers, but not anytime soon as I bought an old Parks planer and am loving it. So quiet compared to the yellow Banshee and I can take off 1/16" per pass without a problem.

I use a Ryobi AP-10, the original lunchbox planner that only cuts 10 inch wide. I got it for $100 from a guy at church who had upgraded to the DeWalt. It would not really cut when I got it but the motor ran. I sharpened the knives, they were terrible, and it has been working fine since. I get some snipe if I don't lift the board as it comes out. I have to make a bunch of passes when cleaning up rough cut lumber. But I used to use an old manual feed INCA and the Ryobi is far better. I guess it all depends on your frame of reference. I find I get a lot more enjoyment in my woodworking if I slow down and don't try to get everything done in one day. My planner takes more time than would a floor standing model with a big motor but if I wasn't running boards through the planner I would be watching TV or fishing. The fishing isn't so bad but watching a planner work is probably a better idea than watching most TV shows.

6. Love my DW735.