Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was 42 years ago today.................

It was 42 years ago today.................

I was 2 hours late picking her up from work and I gave her a 4 hour advance warning we were getting married on Christmas Eve.

I've told the story a million times. 42 years later I'm still amazed.

It was a Friday night and I was cruising the country roads with my drinking buddies near Pontiac, IL. I was in the backseat of a 66 Chevy guarding the beer. I said I'd like a date with a blonde with a good personality. In the dark I could see their heads turn to look at each other "We know the girl....where do you want to meet her" " Mr. Quicks parking lot.....dinner and a movie" was my reply.

The next night a Saturday...I had my one and only blind date. Sunday she brought her two kids over...a 3 year old boy and a 2 year old girl and we went on a picnic. Monday I took her to dinner and asked her to marry me. 8 days later after signing over my checking and savings account I left for bootcamp. 2 days after I got home on Christmas Eve we got married.

2 years later I reenlisted and used some of my reenlistment bonus to adopt those 2 kids. A few years later we had another child.

I nearly lost her 18 years ago to a rare form of cancer.

Tonight with our 4 year old great-granddaugher Riley visiting us, we'll celebrate our 42nd wedding anniversary.

I like to say that God looks after fools, babies and drunks and at one time I qualified in all 3 classifications. I am still amazed......

wedding1.jpg 003 - Copy (510x640).jpg H&A4.jpg

The first a wedding photo....there were only 2 taken.....the second one taken this Thanksgiving with the newest additions to our family....twin granddaughters....and their Christmas photo.....

That woman has put up with me for 42 years.......yes indeed....God looks after fools, babies...and drunks.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-24-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, you're as lucky as I am. 40 years and counting, 2 great daughters, 3 1/2 grandkids. Congratulations and Merry Christmas.

Congratulations, Ken, to you and your lovely bride. I hope you have another happy 42!

Super huge congratulations, Ken. That's even better than woodworking!!!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! You must be doing something right, 42 years is no small feat.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    I just love a story with a happy to be continued...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I just love a story with a happy to be continued...

jtk
    Ditto!! Here's to another 42.......

Bob
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Ken,

I've heard this story before. It is a beautiful story and I'll always enjoy it anytime you care to tell it.

Congratulations,

Jerry

Congratulations. When someone stays married that long, it says a lot about their character.

Congratulations Ken. Just past 38 myself, and like you, still feel lucky.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Congratulations!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What a great thing to read on Christmas Eve . . . AWESOME, simply awesome.

Congrats.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    snip
    I've told the story a million times. 42 years later I'm still amazed.
    And I never get tired of hearing it!!! Congrats on another year. May God continue to watch after fools, babies, drunks, and all his other creations. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Congratulations Ken. Great story and you are both blessed.

Did you ever thank those buddies?

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Congratulations Ken! I think I've been around the Creek too long when reading the story of your marriage has become a tradition for me. LOL I love reading it each year. Thanks for sharing it with us. Wishing you at least another 42 together.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra