Thread: Are either of these gloats?

Question Are either of these gloats?

I don't know. Really.

A good friend just delivered a "table saw" which turned out to be one of the ubiquitous Craftsman Radial Arm Saws. He said if I get rid of it or if I keep it and use it - it's OK.

A few minutes ago another friend called and said she is bringing me a Zyliss clamp that her husband got at a woodworking show several years ago.

Gloats? Ungloats? Nongloats? Antigloats?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have an old Craftsman Radial Arm Saw that I've used for over 20 years. I keep it set up for accurate cross cuts only. I have a Grizzly 1023 TS to do the ripping and occasional cross cut but the Craftsman RAS is reliable and with a Forest blade on it does a great job. It does take some schooling on how to adjust it and keep it right. Curtis Hurpledink(?) ( I'm probably killing his name. ) has a VHS video he did many years ago and he really has mastered the RAS. His jigs etc make the RAS a great joint making tool. I don't use mine that way as I like to adjust my joints with wood planes and chisels.

I'd call the Craftsman a gloat. The Zyliss is the best clamp there is so you get a double gloat !

Enjoy the shavings !

I found the video. It's called Radial-Arm-Saw Joinery with Curtis Erpelding.
    Also Mark Duginske has a video called Mastering Woodworking Machines that shows how to adjust a RAS down to a T.
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 12-24-2010 at 2:56 PM. Reason: Better info

Terry, I have a shed build in my future so it is probably a good bet to cart the Craftsman to the site and use it to cut boards.

The Zyliss vise just walked in the door (or at least the very nice lady carrying it.) It would appear to be a versatile contraption to hold different shaped pieces on something other than my woodworking bench. Might even work for holding up something to carve or shape.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 12-24-2010 at 3:07 PM.

I'd say a free Zyliss Clamp/Vice qualifies as a gloat. I bought a vice several years ago at a woodworking show. It hasn't been worth what I paid for it to me, but I use it every now. I bought most of the attachments but I mostly use it as a vice to hold lawn tools/blades for sharpening.

I would probably use it more often if it were not for the fact that the apron's on my workbench are too thick to clamp the vice. I have a piece of an old countertop that I put on two sawhorses when I want to do something that I don't want to do on my bench (wooden vices), such as file a hoe or mower blade. It's a really good, albeit, expensive lightweight, portable vice. There are a couple of good videos on you tube showing some of the uses. Here is part 1 of a 2 part video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XYeXcXTBNk

Edited: Sounds like this is your lucky day. A working radial arm saw sounds pretty gloatable as well.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 12-24-2010 at 3:17 PM. Reason: additional comment

Anything FREE is a gloat! The Zyliss, especially! The C'man RAS will take up space, but it doesn't eat anything. When you have no further use for it, advertise on CL. If you make $50 bucks off it, it was a good day!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

What gloats? I don't see anything to gloat about...
    I drink, therefore I am.

There's a recal on a bunch of older craftsman radial arm saws... they pay you $100 to take it out of commission... if the serial numbers match the recall numbers. The vise looks cool, I'll take it if you don't want it!

tune up the craftsman saw, get a neg hook cross cut blade and use it. the RAS is a tool that most have a STRONG opinion on. If you decide you don't like it then sell it. If you are one of those who find it a great tool in your inventory start looking in CL for a real good one & when you get one sell the craftsman.

I started with one of those - used for decades, got serious about the hobby and now have a 12" delta turret model.

Free tool = gloat

I believe the approved terminology, according to a thread earlier this week (D & D, IIRC) is RADIO ALARM SAW. We can let it slide this time but in the future, correct terminology will be mandatory.

Nice grab, esp. the price!
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Brian, my first serious power tool some 30+ years ago was a Craftsman RAS. It served me admirably for several years. Among many other things I used it to build a storage shed.
    If it is of interest to you I still have the plans for an 8x12 foot Dutch barn style shed that has materials list and drawings etc. Be glad to send it to you if you want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    What gloats? I don't see anything to gloat about...
    Gloats with no pics, Santa Claus...need I go on.

OK, I have some pics

I also looked up the guard recall and Emerson tools is sending me a new table and blade guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Radio arm saws turn up on CL all the time around here.

John