Thread: Finally!!!Jet TS Assembled

Finally!!!Jet TS Assembled

Finally got the saw asembled this past weekend. My family got it for me for christmas. It actually came almost 2 weeks early but they wouldn't let me start putting it together until Christmas. Even then I did not get to start becase of other projects and family time. I did check the boxes for damage when it was delivered, but it sat in my garage( alias: the shop ) until last weekend when I started assembly.( that was pure torture. 2 weeks of seeing the saw and all the boxes but not being able to work on it.)
    The arbor run out is within Jets specs same with the blade/mitre slot parallel tolerence. I will eventuall remove the production blade guard and replace with a stand alone splitter and over arm blade guard(need to research it), but I can't be any happier. My first projects will be jigs for the saw ie... tenoning jig, cut of sled etc... ( any one know of a place I can get plans for TS jigs).Then my wife tells me she wants a new dinning room table. Oh well, with new shop toys comes more playtime in the shop.

It seems I have been lucky when it comes to TS. I got almost a free PM66, for my shop at school, and then my family goes and gives me this one. The tool Gods are happy with me!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charlie Woods

Do Or Do Not. There is No Try

Yoda

By golly...looks almost the same as mine, but a lot cleaner!! (you can fix that problem...)

Congratulations on your new saw, Charlie!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A big congrats, Charlie! That'd be one heckuva' great Christmas present! I'm sure it will serve you well for many years to come. Don't forget to post articles and pics of projects coming off of that puppy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Thumbs up

.... Nice looking, congratulations .

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Woods
    Finally got the saw asembled this past weekend. My family got it for me for christmas. It actually came almost 2 weeks early but they wouldn't let me start putting it together until Christmas. Even then I did not get to start becase of other projects and family time. I did check the boxes for damage when it was delivered, but it sat in my garage( alias: the shop ) until last weekend when I started assembly.( that was pure torture. 2 weeks of seeing the saw and all the boxes but not being able to work on it.)
    The arbor run out is within Jets specs same with the blade/mitre slot parallel tolerence. I will eventuall remove the production blade guard and replace with a stand alone splitter and over arm blade guard(need to research it), but I can't be any happier. My first projects will be jigs for the saw ie... tenoning jig, cut of sled etc... ( any one know of a place I can get plans for TS jigs).Then my wife tells me she wants a new dinning room table. Oh well, with new shop toys comes more playtime in the shop.

It seems I have been lucky when it comes to TS. I got almost a free PM66, for my shop at school, and then my family goes and gives me this one. The tool Gods are happy with me!!!
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Looks great in there. I'm waiting for my X-mas to come in. Similar but Delta grey instead. Enjoy working with it and please be safe.
    John

Charlie,

Your new table saw is a real beauty. Do yourself a favor and get one or two MicroJigs for your new table saw. These are simply the best safety devices on the market and are just invaluable in my shop.

Charlie
    Nice saw. Enjoy! I notice you have a Bench Dog saw blade remover. How do you like it. Been thinking of picking one up but haven't heard that much about them.

Jerry
    "In 15 to 20 years you just might be a good beginner" -Master Woodworker to his apprentice son (Frank Klausz)

Jerry:

Works great. It really makes blade changes easier.
    I always wondered why TS manufacturers do not make some kind of spring loaded shaft lock device so that you do not need to use any external devices to change the blade?? Seems logical to me!!
    Charlie Woods

Yoda

Looks nice...I know about the torture....I had to wait a week and go to a BBQ at Terry's while my 1023 sat in boxes!

Charlie -

Enjoy your new "at home" saw! Congratulations!!!

How is the restore coming on the PM?

Regards,
    Ted

Looks good. I see that the saw is on a mobile base. What kind did you use?

Oh yes, and thanks for the feedback on the blade removing tool. (The manufacturers really don't make this task easy, do they! ) I am thinking that I will get the Blade-Loc from Lee Valley and the tool in your picture looks similar.

Congrats on the new saw!

Ted:
    I got the arbor locking nut removed finally. I had to take a dremel tool and cut the nut off. I cut about 3/4 of the depth of the nut then took a cold chisel and lightly taped into the cut until it split. All of the threads on the arbor are in good shape. The only thing I can see that would cause the nut to be that tight( see previous post "Old PM66 Teardown) was that there was green paint in the threads of the arbor shaft, and when I removed the nut there was an outline of the nut on the sheeve almost as if the paint was still wet when they tightened the locking nut on the arbor. Will be removing the bearings this weekend, and looking for replacements next week. I hope to have the rest of the trunion removed soon, so I can begin cleaning. I will leave that job to my assistant.
    I am researching aftermarket fences, and overarm blade guards, so that by the time May rolls around itwill be ready to use the next school year.

Frank: It must be a Jet brand since it came with the saw, and was packeaged in Jet boxes. I didnot see any other labels/tags indicating any other manufacturer. The only complaint is that the locking casters on the extension look a little flimsy, and the brake is hard to set. The base directly under the saw is great. I can lock/unlock the brakes with one foot and they hold very tight once locked. ( I will take a close-up of the base, wheels and extension base this evening when I get home.
    Charlie Woods

Yoda