Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Remember Everything in Your Shop

Would You Remember Everything in Your Shop

If someone cleaned out your shop or it burnt down would you remember everything in your shop? The answer is no, I have a friend who had this experience and six months later after all the insurance had been settled he was still regretting that he had not claimed everything as every time he did a new job he was short a tool or two. My advice is to take photos and list everything, especially if you live in a theft prone area. My New Year resolution is to take my laptop out there and sit down and list everything, it should only take a few days to complete.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

This is a good idea to document everything, I know I have tools that I don't always use and kinda forget that I have them.

That has been on my to-do list for months now and I still haven't documented my tools. I would think that photos of the tools in your shop would add some credibility to your list of items; proving that you aren't embellishing the list (to the insurance agent).

Very good idea. I've started, but never seem to finish it. Since my back is out, I can crawl down the stairs some time this weekend and maybe finish it.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quickest way to inventory might be to take videos with an audio commentary.

Good post! It's something we all think we would remember, but in reality, I'm sure few would get close. I'll add that to my list of things to do. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Having once been the victim of a burglary in which I lost a lot of camera equipment and wasn't able to remember everything for insurance purposes, you'd think I'd be better about this with regards to my tools. I need to do this....ASAP.

Definitely on my to do list. Just this past week I had two very high end mountain bikes stolen off my front porch, and I know its going to be hard to remember/ prove the parts groups I had on them.

Blog Entries
    I have a running list of shop and sheds. Backups weekly stored on and offsite. Luck favors the prepared.

All of us don't have computers we can take into the shop to create a list or spreadsheet of items.Sooooo, I brought a tape recorder with me and went from cabinet to cabinet, chest to chest and made a verbal record.

This made it easy to tap out all the info into the computer later on, with a cup of hot coffee resting nearby. Woodworking equipment wasn't the real challenge. My roll-away cabinet of automotive tools was a bear. All those sockets -- metric and imperial -- in various drive sizes. Arrrgh!

I wonder what the cap is on most insurance policies that are held? I would think most with a home shop (basement or garage) would likely cap out in the event of fire or natural disaster wiping everything out. That is unless you have adjusted your coverage accordingly. A local had a home burn and insurance capped at 300k for home and contents. Of course, area, policy, home dependent but would be something to look into.

We personally don't insure down to every screwdriver and nail set but I highly doubt most policies, other than the extremely well, or over, insured would ever cover everything in our shop. That 25 years of tools and being in business as well as my fathers and grandfathers tools. We just have to carry enough coverage to feel comfortable we could withstand a total loss.

Theft and small hand and power tools are always our concern. We are always thankful for living in a low crime area and having a good shop location. Even so the ADT helps us sleep a little easier.

Agreed it's best to be prepared especially in times like these,
    Mark

Having had a theft this week, this hits home. Along with a list, photos, and SERIAL NUMBERS, engrave your drivers licensee # on each of your tools. Be sure to include the state in the number. As an example, NCDL# xxxxxxxx. On one item, police asked if I could prove I actually had such a tool. Told him that not only did I have the box, but also receipt.

I just went through and took pictures of every drawer in the various tool chests and close ups of the machines with ID plates for model/SN info. While you're doing this I would recommend doing the same thing through the house, just start walking through taking pictures of everything(closets, dinnerware, electronics etc) then upload the pics to a location you can get to if the computer is stolen/destroyed. One of my college professor's house burned down while they were on vacation and he taught us a lot about how insurance pays out and how they figure value of contents, on my policy my content coverage is 50% of replacement house value.

I've been there and done that.... My shop burnt in September and I'm still finding small items that wasn't claimed. It's no fun to come home from work and see the frie dept in your yard with smoke pouring out of your shop. Then when they leave you just want to cry while looking at what's left knowing that it's all gone. I'm still working on my new shop. The small items is what you will miss the most. All the jigs you have made over the years for those special projects. That's what will take time to replace. Take pictures/Videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of everything. Especially the small items.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Lawson View Post
    I've been there and done that.... My shop burnt in September
    Donny
    Wow, sorry to hear about your shop. That would be a real nightmare. Were you or the fire department ever able to determine a possible cause? My fear is always the DC and a cut staple or some freak thing that gets smoldering in the drum. I know your suppose to empty nightly but it doesn't always happen in our shop. That or we have a woodstove in the shop and burn a lot of sawdust when we can't get rid of it.

Mark

Mark