Thread: Turning Tool Recomendations?

Turning Tool Recomendations?

I was given an "opportunity"(Christmas Gift) to get a turning tool. I want to turn bowls, HF and other things that I have seen here. I really don't have any experience turning, other than pens.
    I use a carbide tool that I do all of my turning with and need to expand my turning tool collection. So I need a recommendation on a good tool to start with. I don't want to get a "set", I would rather get 1 good versatile tool and work my way up.

I was thinking a 5/8 V-shaped Bowl Gouge?

Thanks for the help Creekers,
    Lupe D.

If you're only after a single tool, go with the 3/8 v-gouge instead. It will be slower on the roughing out, but should be better for the finish turning. One of the Thompson tools is what I'd recommend. You could always add a 5/8 one later if you wish.

Clint

I think your on the right tract, a Thompson 5/8 V is my go to tool. Very seldom do I use a smaller tool.
    Bill

my go to is 1/2" have the 5/8" and it sits in the rack and watches the back of its brother head the 3/8" and the middle child does all the work

5/8 , IMHO , would be my choice if only one is purchased!

Merry Christmas, Lupe. I agree with the long grind bowl gouge, but I guess the size is a matter of preference. I use a 1/2 and 3/8 most of the time, and I rarely use my 5/8 gouge. It's hard to beat Doug Thompson's tools, and you can fit them with nice mesquite handles!

I saw the easy wood tools at Woodcraft. Has anyone tried this tool. I got a demo DVD for it and it looked pretty EZ. I've only used Thompson gouges, so I am relutant to change. All this being said, I agree with the other recommendations for Thompson tools.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

I have Thompson 3/8 v; 1/2 v; 5/8 v Bowl Gouges. I use the 1/2v the most but if I am roughing out Bowls 10" or bigger I will use the 5/8v to get the bowl so it is stable than finish with the 1/2v. Its all in what your perference is.

Merry Christmas Creekers, thanks for the feedback guys.

I noticed that the 5/8 is a little longer than the others, would there be a noticeable difference in the length when turning? My goto tool is a 8-1/2" carbide cutter with a 16" handle, I like the feel of the beffy tool.

The carbide I got is a woodchuck and love the thing. I use a diamond "card" to touch up the inserts. I have totally neglected my skew and go from final cutting with my woodchuck to finishing. No sanding, maybe some BLO to pop the grain and a a CA finish.

David any other tool I ever get wll have an upgraded mesquite handle. That is some of my favorite wood, and being that it's free to me......

Thanks Creekers,
    Last edited by Lupe Duncan; 12-25-2010 at 8:29 PM.
    Lupe D. -
    TEXICANWOOD