Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Crib For My New Daughter

There's also the possibility that our whole family could get killed in a nasty car accident, but we're not going to not drive. We used this same type of setup with our other daughter and I never perceived it to be a hazard. But I’m going to go ahead and remove it now because I don’t think I would be able to live with myself if she died in her sleep after I posted message like this.
    "The key to patience is doing something else."

Maybe you shouldn't drive if you think you are going to get into an accident whenever you get into the car. On a very serious note lots of children have died...if you want to make light of that then go ahead....maybe you should try using some common sense though.

Why Do These Groups Recommend Against Crib Bumper Pads?

One reason child safety organizations recommend against crib bumpers is that they pose a risk of suffocation. Just like a pillow or thick blanket, crib bumper pads can restrict a baby's breathing if the bumper is up next to the baby's nose or mouth. Suffocation risk is greatest when babies are very young and unable to move themselves away from potential hazards.
    A secondary risk with crib bumpers is strangulation. Babies can become entangled in the crib bumper or its ties, or can get between the bumper and the crib. A few crib bumpers have been recalled because of stitching or trim that can come loose. Those loose pieces also could cause injury.

Rebreathing of stale air is another concern with crib bumper pads. The bumper reduces the flow of fresh air around baby during sleep, particularly if his or her face is very close to the bumper. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that some infants, when they are overheated or lack sufficient oxygen during sleep, are unable to arouse themselves enough to prevent death. Re-breathing of stale air may be a contributing factor to SIDS.

How many kids need to die to make you see there is a very easy solution to this problem? 1...20....10,000. How many?? How many people do I need to see die in a car accident to realize that I want a seat belt on at all times and an air bag? for me the answer is easy...i don't need to see anyone die...I want to be in a car with an air bag and I wear my seat belt all the time. As a society we are much safer than we were even 10 or 20 years ago...many more people survive because we have learned about stupid things we did in the past. Again like I said above it is a wonder how many of us survived...but the real fact is that there were a lot that didn't and if you want to make fun of that go ahead but I for one do not want to see one child die and have to see their family deal with their children's death when it could have been easily prevented. Maybe you should use some common sense and do your own research....ask your pediatrician and they WILL tell you not to use bumbers....

Thanks for your 2 cents man.

Great looking crib. I'm sure it will turn into a family heirloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cormier View Post
    Great looking crib. I'm sure it will turn into a family heirloom.
    Thank you.

Nice, very, very nice!

Trevor,

This is AWESOME! I love the wood, finish and craftsmanship (I'm staying clear of the "bumper" debate . . . ).

A question:

Is the curly, red leaf or sugar maple? I'm considering a buy from Bell Forest Products and they have a fairly good deal on the red leaf right at the moment .. .
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    Is the curly, red leaf or sugar maple?
    Jeff, I think its the red leaf, or soft maple. I got that batch of lumber from a guy on Craigs List.

I just ordered another batch of heavily figured curly maple from www.crlumber.com for a dresser project. I thought their prices were pretty good. 21BF of 5/4 and 43.5BF of 4/4 came out to $401 with shipping. It should be here on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it looks. I think the lumber I used on the crib is what you would call "medium figure". I'm curious to see how it compares to what they are calling "heavily figured".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't drive if you think you are going to get into an accident whenever you get into the car. On a very serious note lots of children have died...if you want to make light of that then go ahead....maybe you should try using some common sense though....

How many kids need to die to make you see there is a very easy solution to this problem? 1...20....10,000. How many?? How many people do I need to see die in a car accident to realize that I want a seat belt on at all times and an air bag? for me the answer is easy...i don't need to see anyone die...I want to be in a car with an air bag and I wear my seat belt all the time. As a society we are much safer than we were even 10 or 20 years ago...many more people survive because we have learned about stupid things we did in the past. Again like I said above it is a wonder how many of us survived...but the real fact is that there were a lot that didn't and if you want to make fun of that go ahead but I for one do not want to see one child die and have to see their family deal with their children's death when it could have been easily prevented. Maybe you should use some common sense and do your own research....ask your pediatrician and they WILL tell you not to use bumbers....
    It is perfectly acceptable to kindly point out the risks to using bumpers on cribs. It is also perfectly acceptable for the original poster to respond to your opinion. So why not leave it at that? I found the above to be overbearing, offensive and inappropriate.

Trever, that's one heckuva crib... very nicely done. Much better than my first project. But I do agree with Greg on one point... it WILL be difficult seeing that crib and all your hard work go into storage once your family outgrows it! I've been there, so consider yourself forewarned...

And when do you plan to start on that dresser?
    Last edited by Shawn Christ; 01-04-2011 at 8:49 PM.

Trevor,
    I absolutely love this piece. Beautiful wood, wonderful attention to detail and workmanship. Congrats on a great piece, and on your growing family
    Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Quote Originally Posted by Trever Williams View Post
    Jeff, I think its the red leaf, or soft maple. I got that batch of lumber from a guy on Craigs List.

I just ordered another batch of heavily figured curly maple from www.crlumber.com for a dresser project. I thought their prices were pretty good. 21BF of 5/4 and 43.5BF of 4/4 came out to $401 with shipping. It should be here on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it looks. I think the lumber I used on the crib is what you would call "medium figure". I'm curious to see how it compares to what they are calling "heavily figured".
    I just moved from Dayton and have bought a lot of wood from Chad at crlumber.com (muterspaw lumber co). You will not be disappointed. Prices are great and so is the quality
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Christ View Post
    it WILL be difficult seeing that crib and all your hard work go into storage once your family outgrows it! I've been there, so consider yourself forewarned...
    Shawn, I built it so that we can put long rails between the head board and foot board to make it a full size bed. So hopfully she'll want to use it until she goes to college and we'll get to keep it out for another 18 years or so.
    Last edited by Trever Williams; 01-04-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips View Post
    I just moved from Dayton and have bought a lot of wood from Chad at crlumber.com (muterspaw lumber co). You will not be disappointed. Prices are great and so is the quality
    James, the lumber I ordered for the dresser showed up a day early today. I'm pretty impressed with the figure. I would definitely say its a notch up from the lumber I used on the crib. I asked Chad to hand select some good 5/4 boards for the top of the dresser and it looks like he sent me some nice ones.

I would like to get started on the dresser right away but I promised my neighbor across the street that I would build her kids some toy boxes a few months ago, so I need to get those knocked out first. I guess that will give the new wood some time to acclimate to my garage.

Really nice crib Trever. I'd be interested in your drawings if you're willing. My little one is due early this year.

very nice job Trever and congratulations on your upcoming child!
    Just a year ago this time I was building a crib for our first child (I have posted the photos here too). I can understand how joyful the whole process is.
    Enjoy the rest too!

McKenzie likes her new crib.

It snowed 6" in Dallas on Friday morning, but that didn't scare McKenzie any, she decided it was time to come anyway. It made for a pretty interesting drive to the hospital, 40 miles through 6" of fresh snow with a screaming woman in the passenger seat. Everything went smooth and easy... for me anyway. My wife would tell a different story. She had the baby right after we got there, before they had time to give her any pain meds. She did a great job though and the baby is as happy and healthy as can be. We made it back home today and she got to try her new crib for the first time.