Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet JJP-12HH--where to buy?

Matt,

Just for what it's worth, I remember reading the manual (yeah, I'm one of those) that came with my JJP-12. On the spec. sheet, the only difference on the HH, other than the head, was the feed rate. The straight knife one is 20 FPM and the HH was less. I seem to recall there was a difference in the motor as well. Unfortunately, the manual is out in the shop, about 100 feet away and under about 2 feet of blowing snow, so I can't quote exact.

When I read that, I thought changing to a HH head might be a bit more involved than I thought or that I want to do.
    I would say that if you really need the HH, then paying for it now (only hurts real bad once) might be a better option.

Greg A.
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

OK, just snowshoe'd out to my shop and grabbed the manual.
    jet_jjp12_specs.jpg
    The only difference is the feed rate, which would suggest pulley's.

HTH

Greg A
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

Quote Originally Posted by greg a bender View Post
    OK, just snowshoe'd out to my shop and grabbed the manual.
    jet_jjp12_specs.jpg
    The only difference is the feed rate, which would suggest pulley's.

HTH

Greg A
    Greg, thank you for that. Big difference between 20 FPM & 12 FPM. I have the straight knife version and it doesn't seem all that easy to change the feed speed. The rumor about the delay in introducing the HH version was having to reengineer the stock feed mechanism.

The last round of Jet sales did not include the HH version with the helical head. Greg mentioned that he may recall a sale when it was $2199. If this happened, then I really missed a great deal. The best I ever seen was $2400 (20% off) about 18 months ago. I suspect Jet was reducing inventory as the economy slumped.

According to Byrd, they told me that many customers installed their helical head in the standard JJP-12 without issue. However, a Jet tech rep told me that they needed to modify the machine (feed speed?) when Jet offered the JJP-12HH which delayed its introduction for more than one year.

I would not buy another machine with straight knives again. However, I'm not big on doing the modification myself. I don't like the idea of fooling with a new machine and goofing up its warranty.

I've looked over a few J/P machines as I procrastinate. I looked at the Grizzly, Hammer and Jet. To me, the Jet would be my first choice: helical head (Grizzly too), most compact, works on a 20amp circuit, and quickest changeover. I can also buy it locally if Jet has another national sale.

Keep us informed if you spot a deal.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Well, the feed speed difference looks like a deal breaker on a future HH upgrade. Figuring out if its just a pulley change or more would probably be like pulling teeth from Jet and the additional parts cost (and availability) would be an unknown. So it looks like either a JJP-12HH, a G0634 (which is unlikely due to the wasted space required by the fence) or nothing at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Well, the feed speed difference looks like a deal breaker on a future HH upgrade. Figuring out if its just a pulley change or more would probably be like pulling teeth from Jet and the additional parts cost (and availability) would be an unknown. So it looks like either a JJP-12HH, a G0634 (which is unlikely due to the wasted space required by the fence) or nothing at this time.
    Matt, that's exactly why I wouldn't buy a machine that comes from a reseller.

I have no idea in 20 years if Jet will be able to purchase spare parts from the manufacturer to sell to you or I.

That leaves Felder, Hammer and MiniMax as the manufacturers who own the intellectual property, and will have the drawings, and the ability to make you a part.

That was one of the items I verified when I purchased the Hammer, they still supply parts for decades old machines.

To me, that's a big consideration when laying out that much cash.

Regards, Rod.

Well, you twisted what I said into something different that what I said. I was referring to the ability to get information to get a BOM and have the ability to buy individual components (as opposed to buying more expensive assemblies) to convert from one model to another--something I wouldn't expect to very many, if any, manufacturers to support. As a general rule Jet has a good reputation for parts availability.

You are assuming Felder, Hammer, and Minimax stay in business and don't get bought. 4 years ago you could have said the same about Delta's support for old equipment. B&D bought them and scrapped most of that inventory.

Yes Matt, I am assuming that Felder and MiniMax don't get bought by a company that changes their plans.

It's a reasonable bet with Felder as they're a family owned business not subject to the whims of shareholders.

I guess I've seen enough cases of parts that are no longer available because the machines were bought from a company that won't deal with customers directly.

When I owned General equipment I could phone the factory and speak to someone, or have their field service technician come to my house and repair it. Felder are like that, I don't know if MiniMax do that.

I'd rather not complicate the issue by dealing with a third party who have no control over what the manufacturer does when dealing with a machine purchase that I expect to keep for decades.

Regards, Rod.