Thread: Xbox controller works great with Mach3

Xbox controller works great with Mach3

I got a wired Xbox controller for xmas and got it hooked up to the cnc today.

It works very well. Much better than the joystick and keyboard. Lots of options. It fast slew and step coontrol. I have mine set up so the red button is the stop reset, Blue is home all, Green start cycle. Yellow as feed hold.

I have some unassigned buttons and as soon as a figure out how to do a macro I will add my probe routines.

excellent, i have been using the rumblepad on the wincnc now i wanna hook up the joystick!!

3. SWEET, Nice video, I think that adds a lot to the explanation.

There's no end to the fun.

I hope thw Xbox isn't going without.

Wireless

I've been using the Xbox 360 wireless controller for about two months, you can go to Artsoft and download the plug in for free with install instructions, and it is 100% configurable without writing any macros.

You just need to make sure you use the XBox 360 for windows wireless controller, not the one for the for the Xbox console.

Dave
    Epilog mini 24, 4x4 hybrid CNC, Aspire, Cut 3D, and lots of wood working equipment.

I have used one since day one of jogging my machine.

The wireless Xbox game console controller and the Xbox for PC controller are the same except the PC one comes with a USB PC adapter. You can buy the adapter seperate if you can find it.

The wireless one needs to be turned on before starting mach otherwise the plugin does not enable it. The battery save mode on the wireless model works great.

I have only programmed in jog and the red button as Estop/reset. I have hit buttons by mistake and did not want to do something unplanned.

It is a great CNC add on for sure.

Here is the adapter if you can snag one from your xbox.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-.../dp/B000HZFCT2

$13 more buys teh whole thing in black even!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2JR0KN6Z1JHH63
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 12-26-2010 at 7:16 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Has any one ever set up a macro on the 360 controler? I have a probe macro assigned to one of the buttons on my screen and would love to assign it to a button on the controller.

Could you code a script to a button and assign that button to the Xbox controller?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

There is some instruction on setting up macros in the Xbox thread on CNCzone: cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/101773-xbox_controller_install_mach3-post751390.html#poststop
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-27-2010 at 8:28 AM.

I have not seen where the plugin was compatible with windows seven
    i really would like to set this up, Anyone using it with win 7

john
    Just an old guy learning new tricks
    Knoxville Tennessee

Got the macro working. What you do is to save it with a name like MXXX.m1s and place it in the macro directory in mach3. the XXX is the macro number you use in the macro1 and macro2 fields on the plugin. You then can select macro1 or mcaro2 in any button.

Works great I now use my probe without the keyboard.

As for windows7 that is all that I am using and it works great.

The plugin also supports two OEM code fields. Anyone know what these are and how to use them?

360 Xbox

It should, Mach3 will run under Win7, and the Xbox drivers are from MS so there shouldn't be any install issues.

Dave
    Epilog mini 24, 4x4 hybrid CNC, Aspire, Cut 3D, and lots of wood working equipment.

Thanks
    I went to bestbuy to get a wireless reciever and they said they don't have them,,, doe's the wired one use usb? my cnc laptop doesn't have printer port

john
    Knoxville Tennessee

I bought a wired one off of Ebay and it came with a USB adapter dongle.

Angie

angie

thank you for you input. i also bought a wired one and it works great. thanks very much for the contributer of the program and all those
    on this thread for the helpful info
    john
    Knoxville Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Simpson Virgina View Post

The plugin also supports two OEM code fields. Anyone know what these are and how to use them?
    Use an OEM code to call any standard button push code. Look in the Mach wiki for button codes,

http://www.machsupport.com/MachCusto...le=OEM_Buttons

Greg