Thread: Drawers

Drawers

Any advice on how to make the edge around this drawer would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Ed

project.jpg

Ed, not sure I understand your need. The table looks very finished to me. I would not change anything!

Or, you want to build one like this photo? The beading appears to be applied to the edges of the drawer front. A half-round router bit, or two passes of a quarter-round bit along the edge, would zip off a moulding strip you could cut with accurately mitered corners and apply to the drawer front.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Ed, not sure I understand your need. The table looks very finished to me. I would not change anything!

Or, you want to build one like this photo? The beading appears to be applied to the edges of the drawer front. A half-round router bit, or two passes of a quarter-round bit along the edge, would zip off a moulding strip you could cut with accurately mitered corners and apply to the drawer front.
    I think he was asking if you made a table like this how would you make the trim around the drawer.

Bead part of beading bit , then resaw on band or table saw.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I have made these before. I make them like "J" molding. That are very durable and will not get knocked off like an applique because they are part of the solid wood.

I can't tell from the photo whether the beading is applied to the drawer opening or to the drawer itself (cock beading). If it's the latter, here's a link to a recent thread on the subject:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...eading-drawers

Blog Entries
    Cock beading is a strip of beaded stock rabbeted into the drawer face. Quirk beading (on the rails and stiles) gives a similar appearance when the drawer is closed and are not as subject to damage.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-27-2010 at 2:35 PM.

Making the cock beading is the easy part - installing it and joining the sides to the front is the hard part. FWW has an article on it (search the site), Norm did it on NYW, and there are a few tutorials online I found when I did it a couple years ago.

Here's a sturdy example of cock beading that covers the edges of the drawer front. Corners are mitered to an exact fit:

cock beading.jpg
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!