Thread: Newbie question---Wax forjointer beds

Newbie question---Wax forjointer beds

I bought myself a ridgid 6 inch jointer for Christmas. The instructions say that I should wax the jointer bed and wall. What kind of wax do you use and where do you buy it?

Johnsons paste wax.
    Available most anyware and works well

Duan

Johnson Paste Wax - Home Depot or Lowes

Duan - we both shot that bird at the same time.

Make that three for Johnson Paste Wax.

Thank you much, I'll pick some up.

We have always used minwax butchers wax and it works well (its always in the shop). That said, I had a finishing rep in the shop who scolded us sternly for using wax on our tables claiming it can wreak havoc with finishes. I have not tried it but he said he always used baby powder to make his tops slicky smooth though he didnt say anything about the protection you get from wax (surface rust).

Mark

Did any one say Johnsons Wax....

I have found I use that stuff in the shop for a lot of thing, table saw, band saw, router table, router base, skill saw base, jig saw base, you name it.

Johnsons bowling alley wax. I get mine from the home depot. Or true value, sometimes. Where ever its cheapest.

I've just been looking for a new can of Johnson's Paste Wax. My old one is empty. I checked three different grocery stores, and the local Home Depot. None of them had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've just been looking for a new can of Johnson's Paste Wax. My old one is empty. I checked three different grocery stores, and the local Home Depot. None of them had it.
    Did you check with Ace Hardware, that is were I get mine from.

Johnson's is my go-to, too.

But ....

Just avoid automotive waxes, containing silicone (can provide your wood with a finish that .... real finishes have trouble clinging to/penetrating), and ... you'll likely be okay.

But Johnson's is HUGE bang for the buck, for this stuff. Zero downside, IME !

I use a mix of Phoenician Queen Wasp hive wax (amber of course) cut with a 50% solution of dephenelated Eastern Mongolian Yack Spirits. Kidding of course (but I tell you, some of these finish guys might as well be writing stuff like this some times)!

14. Johnson's is my vote!