Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer selection

Jointer selection

I am looking for a used 6" or 8" jointer. Am I better off with the larger one? I have seen several Jet 6" models on Craigs List that seem reasonable. They are surely less expensive than an 8" Delta.

Welcome to SMC! It all depends on the projects you are building and the wood you plan to work with...my experience is that there are a lot of choice boards that an 8" jointer will handle that a 6" jointer would not. If you are building jewelry boxes, picture frames and such it may make no difference. Tables, case pieces and other furniture it may be pretty limiting. Another consideration is that the table length and fence height tend to be more generous on models 8" and up. I have an 8" jointer and wish I could have afforded and handled a 12" model. Don't know your experience level, but based on the nature of the question...there is a lot to be careful about when buying used machinery even a simple jointer can be tricky (there is a lot that needs to be precise).

Blog Entries
    There is generally a good supply of used 6" machines being sold by the people who didn't listen to the other people who told those people how much money they lost by sellin their 6" machines in ordwer to upgrade to the 8" machines they should have gotten in the first place. Just my biased opinion after losing money selling my 6" machine to buy the 8" machine everyone told me to get. ;-)

Hi Bill,

A little over a year ago, I picked up a new Steel City 6" at the Woodsmith store on sale (close out). Frankly, in over 30 yrs. of woodworking, I've never had a good jointer. The beauty of this machine is that it's a long bed. I quickly found out how great the longer bed is. So, my recommendation with consideration on what you build, might be to consider a longer bed over a wider unit.

I just picked up an old 8" delta jointer, and i was surprised that it doesn't take much extra floor space in my small shop, besides the slightly longer infeed/outfeed tables. By me, they sell a lot of boards that are around 6-8" wide, so having 8" available is nice. I also find that for the things i build (furniture mostly, bookcases, frame and panel type, coffee tables, dressers, etc.) i don't tend to use boards much wider than 6" unless it's for a top. I don't mind hand-planing the larger boards when i need them.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    "......... after losing money selling my 6" machine to buy the 8" machine everyone told me to get. ;-)
    We tried to tell you, Glenn. But, you....just.....wouldn't........listen.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I don't think there's any question that bigger is better with jointers. If you can afford a new 8" jointer, or better yet find a deal on a used one, you'll be happer a year or two from now. My experience is there are a lot of 6-8" boards at the lumber yards which would end up being wasted with a smaller jointer, or you need to do some tricks with the jointer and planer to use them. I got my Shop Fox 8" jointer new, delivered, for a little over $700, so keep in mind when looking at 8" jointers that they all don't carry the Delta DJ20 price tag. Look at Grizzly too.

Good luck!

Table Length!

If you can find a 6" jointer with a 70+" table then, other than the odd piece you'd like to face joint that is over 6" wide, you'll probably be happy.

I curse my 6" Delta deluxe every time I try to joint anything over 4' long. You end up applying pressure in bad places in order to keep the workpiece from falling off the front or rear ends of the table. And don't tell me about outfeed and infeed tables, it never ceases to amaze me that some guys will spend days getting their tables adjusted to within .00002 then slap an outfeed / infeed roller down and be happy with "eyeballing" that.

I have never, ever, ever, ever read "I wish i'd have bought the [smaller/cheaper] [insert tool here]"

But other than that, I really don't have a strong opinion on the matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    We tried to tell you, Glenn. But, you....just.....wouldn't........listen.
    I know Kent, I know. I do learn though, even if slowly. I am eternally grateful to many folks here who have saved me bunches of money and frustration by sharing their experiences, good and bad.

Bill, the best advice will come from someone who does similar work in similar ways. Often I see advice here and say to myself "Yeah, that's right". That's usually when folks who make pieces and use methods that are similar to mine are posting. Now and again will see advice and say to myslef "Why would that person tell that poor guy that?". However, the advice that I disagree with may be perfect for you. If in doubt, PM the person posting and have a side conversation about what they do to see if it is in line with what you are wanting to do.

In the end you need to render it all down and make your best decision for what you want to do. Enjoy the ride.

Bill.... I'd go with an 8" jointer. It's not just width. I feel the greater mass and the longer beds make it a better choice.

If budget's an issue, watch Craigslist patiently. Here in mid-sized Denver an 8"er comes along every few days. And while the DJ20s seem to fetch $800-1000, there are plenty of options. I picked up a nearly-new Grizzly G0656 for $500 with only a little waiting. Guy even threw in a 10ga extension cord, a nice homemade push block, and some walnut boards - all-told, I figure I paid about half price compared to a new Griz with shipping. With used 6" DJ15s going for $400-450 here, I am very glad I stepped up a little.

If I were in the market for a 6 or 8 inch jointer, I would be looking for a delta dj-20, pre-owned, of course. These are great machines, ADJUSTABLE, with long infeed tables. If you take a little time, and broaden your search area, one will pop up out of nowhere. I would also focus on one with a byrd head installed.

One thing I have learned about used tools is that they all will show up on craigslist, at acutions (auctionzip.com), or someplace. Target price, maybe 500 without byrd head, or double that with.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    There is generally a good supply of used 6" machines being sold by the people who didn't listen to the other people who told those people how much money they lost by sellin their 6" machines in ordwer to upgrade to the 8" machines they should have gotten in the first place. Just my biased opinion after losing money selling my 6" machine to buy the 8" machine everyone told me to get. ;-)
    I agree with Glenn. When I bought a jointer I really researched the topic and was surprised at the number of people who had upgraded from 6" to 8". Some did it within a year of buying the 6" jointer. That's why there are so many available used. I bought an 8" and was glad I went with the extra length. The extra length came i very handy on first board that used it on.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I want to thank you all for the information. I was impressed with how many of you not only looked at my post but gave worthwhile advise.

Some background. I am a social studies teacher who has worked on wood projects off and on since I was a young man. I am 59 years young as of December 29th. When I was 27 my brother in law and I cut down several walnut trees and had them rough sawed. They have been in my shed all these years. I have carved some of the wood and enjoyed the results. When my daughter got married in June I promised her and her husband that I would make a clock case for them. I have a DeWalt surfacer but found out that it won't take out the twists and bows from the walnut. When I carved the wood these problems didn't matter. What does matter to me is that I use the wood of my youth to make the case for my daughter and her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Loane View Post
    I want to thank you all for the information. I was impressed with how many of you not only looked at my post but gave worthwhile advise.

Some background. I am a social studies teacher who has worked on wood projects off and on since I was a young man. I am 59 years young as of December 29th. When I was 27 my brother in law and I cut down several walnut trees and had them rough sawed. They have been in my shed all these years. I have carved some of the wood and enjoyed the results. When my daughter got married in June I promised her and her husband that I would make a clock case for them. I have a DeWalt surfacer but found out that it won't take out the twists and bows from the walnut. When I carved the wood these problems didn't matter. What does matter to me is that I use the wood of my youth to make the case for my daughter and her husband.
    What a heart-warming post.

I think you may have missed a trick though. "What do you want for Christmas, Dad?"

"A DJ-20 please. You can combine it with my birthday present if you like..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    What a heart-warming post.

I think you may have missed a trick though. "What do you want for Christmas, Dad?"

"A DJ-20 please. You can combine it with my birthday present if you like..."
    Good trick but I suggest replacing DJ-20 with a Powermatic PJ-882 with a Byrd head, better choice and better gift!