Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

27 Dec 2010

Good Morning Everyone,

We are back from our holiday travels. We had to come back early because my dad was tired of all the company and his pain level was pretty high. So we packed up immediately and left for home yesterday. My dad isn't doing well at all and my mom is expecting him to pop out of this at any time and be back to his old self. Sadly enough, I know in my heart of hearts that this will be a limited time left for my dad and as hard as it is for me right now, I've come to terms with it as best I can. I sure feel bad for my mom though.

The kids had a good Christmas and we are all road tired from being on the road so much. I woke up this morning with a frozen pipe in our master bath and I got that thawed out and running once again.

I did some woodworking type stuff while at the In-laws place over the duration of the trip and I sure enjoyed that. Helping my MIL and creating some saw dust was such a double pleasure for me and she appreciated the work and I appreciated the time of being able to help her AND to sling some saw dust for a bit.

Woke up to snow on Christmas morning and that was a real treat for us as we were in Alabama with my folks at that time. We got home to find that not even a flake of snow fell around our home in Arkansas.

Well, that's it for me....I hope all of you had a merry Christmas and had great times with family and friends.

So what did YOU do this past Christmas weekend.???

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Technically its still the weekend for me but I am working today instead of Friday, which isn't a holiday at my work, since LOML is working today and off on Friday. The rest of the weekend we've had lots of time visiting family and eating. Yesterday weekly errands including picking up new door knobs for the entire house (finally getting rid of the early 90's modern lever's) which was our gift from my parents. Spent some time messing with iPods since I got LOML got a new one and is passing her Nano to LOMLjr.

Woodworking wise, I delivered the desk and my daughter is quite pleased. And checking out woodworking related books for my Kindle. I'm kind of thinking about selling some of my reference books if I can replace them with Kindle versions. Not so much to read on the Kindle, but because I can read them on the Kindle, my phone, and my PC in the shop. I'n not sure how many are available yet though so I need to look into it more.

Well I re-arranged my shop a little. I moved my workbench to the back wall from the center of the space, and moved my tablesaw to the center of the shop space. Apart from that I started cleaning up some large reclaimed pieces of oak which happened to be quatersawn. These boards are really rough but will plane out very nice.

Other than that chased kids, chased cows, chased God.

I have been working on a night table for the son of a friend, it's all made of red oak and is mission style. It's turning out pretty nice and just have to finish the top, buld runners for the drawer and make a drawer for it. Shop is a mess and I guess I'll get to it when I am finished with this piece. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas this year! I finally have figured out how to post pics on here, so when it's finished I'll put a few on after I'm finished.

Well, I re-hung a frame and panel door, installing a new mortise lock set on it on the room that will soon become our younger daughter's bedroom. I also cleaned up the garage a bit so I could get the Kubota with the backhoe attached in there in preparation for the snow that was at that time "on the way". That pretty much was what I did outside of enjoy the holiday including sharing the cooking chore with Professor Dr SWMBO...she handled the prime rib and sour cherry cobbler and I handed the twice baked potatoes and broccoli with garlic and shallot butter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Flown my mother-n-law to New Orleans for Christmas picked her up at the airport then explored bouban street...lol..3 days was enough of that place .Then back here to my house in Mississippi. Glad to be home and GLAD its all over...She went back to her house in TN today Thank god...Whoops (did i say that)

Did the weekend start Friday? If so finished up a cutting board and Triumph V carved sign as last minute gifts for Saturday. Got a K2 Z axis for the CNC Thursday so started planning that build. Now thinking of .2 pitch instead of .1 . Anyway after that it was all family.

May have been the best Christmas of my life. Megan did not know that presents from Santa had ownership. She thought he brought us all a big pile of them and we would each take one and take a turn opening them. May be the first and last innocent real meaning of Christmas I will ever have - at least until she has kids. I am blessed to have a family and friends - everthing else is extra.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Not much in the way of woodworking. Our 4 year old great-granddaughter was visiting. Went to the oldest son's house for Christmas dinner with he, his wife and her parents. It was a family weekend.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I pushed like crazy on all sorts of small tasks in the shop... because my parents are visiting (arriving today) so I must show my dad I've amounted to something ha ha (I'm sure many can relate to living up to a dad's expectations!)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I worked to complete 2 projects for Christmas gifts.

A magnifying glass and desktop tray for my father.
    A bottle stopper and a rack for it and the one I gave her last year.

I was in such a hurry that I delivered the gifts without taking pictures. Doh!

Spent Christmas Eve with my parents and then Christmas day with the entire side of my family at my sisters house.
    No travelling over 45 minutes away and it all worked out well.

Snowed in for 1-1/2 days and now sitting around deciding what to do - I'm off this week . . .

I need to go downstairs and play with my toys.

Jim

Enjoyed the mother in law, both daughters and the wife's neice over the holiday weekend. Worked on some hinge mortices for the 2 end tables that I have been working on for what seems like forever. Need to create a jig for routing hinge mortices; there is one in Fine Woodworking I need to research. Also fired up a nice Rocky Patel and enjoyed some liquid spirits in the shop to end the evening. Hope everyone stayed safe on the road, especially with the weather we have had in the East.

On Christmas day we went to Diann's parents farm, had a great time although there sure isn't much snow here.

Apparently all our snow is the northeast US.

My last day of work was December 17, I'm off untill Jamuary 6, it's nice to have some shop time.

I completed a frame with double glass to hold a war time recruitment poster for my oldest daughter.

I've also made good progress on a tile top Arts and Crafts coffee table for the living room. (yes I know A&C coffee tables didn't exist). The tiles are a light green, it should like nice.

This year Christmas and Boxing Day fell on the weekend so many Canadians have yesterday and today as holiday days. Apparently many decided to go to the mall, must be tough when the best thing you can think of to do on a holiday is go to the mall.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the season.........Regards, Rod.

P.S. 2001, A Space Odysee has been re-released in 70mm so we're making a familly viewing of it part of the New Years activities. It's been decades since I've seen that film.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 12-28-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

I managed to get the final coat of finish on this trash can cabinet at 5:30 on Christmas Eve. Just in the nick of time. It was a Christmas gift for my in-laws.

Worked on this gun rack with my younger brother for our dad. It didn't come out exactly like I had planned. Joining together the kickers with the back post via dowels wasn't that good of an idea in hindsight. We couldn't get it too line up at all! But Dad loved it!
    Graphic Designer for Col. Littleton.

Oh how to spend the week off
    We do have plans for Weds-ND Hockey Game, Thurs trip to Chicago for Lunch, then to Purdue for a Basketball game. Just finished mounting the RAS and reworking the Dewalt Miter Saw so they are nested together. Also reworked the dust collection for the CMS. What a difference
    Maybe start picking out the wood for LOML cabinet. Then I can go back to the workshop!
    Be Safe, and Enjoy the NEW Year!
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute