Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix

Netflix

They been doing a advertising blitz here lately...if you have them - what do you think of their service?

Right now we have sat. and I want to drop the movie channels because they are not worth the money.

Thank you

Rod

We had netfix for several years (perhaps 6 or so) when they first came out and absolutely loved it. When we gave in to the 200 channel beast we dropped the netflix but are currently in the process of going back to Netflix and are going to do away with our satellite TV all together and opt for over the air stations and Netflix. We have had Netflix back for a bit now and wondered why we ever stopped. Around here your movies land in one day, fast turn around, no late fees/etc.. Great service by us.

Mark

Netflix is great...we purchased a Roku player and now stream all of the instant play movies to our big screen surround sound system. It is so good that we dropped our comcast cable to basic service thus saving over $100 a month. There are a few shows my wife likes that we pay for thru Amazon video on demand which streams through our Roku player...it is a great service and I would recommend you try it.

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Like everyone else here so far, I think it is great. Due to the distance to the nearest Netflix center it takes about 3 days from mailing one out until the next one comes in. Plus being able to watch all the instant movies anytime you want, that's just the icing on the cake.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very efficient operation. We stream their instant play movies through our PS3 and on to our wide screen.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We just dropped them after the latest of many price increases. They want everyone to stream which we can't do due to bandwidth. For the price we can rent a lot at Family Video.

I've been a subscriber for around 4 years now. I strongly suggest a bluray player that can also stream movies. That makes for an incredibly diverse amount of material from them for a great price.

We have Netflix. I like to stream movies. I thin it is a crock that they don't release movies until a month after they get released everywhere else. I also think they should stream all movies not just a select few.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    We have Netflix. I like to stream movies. I thin it is a crock that they don't release movies until a month after they get released everywhere else. I also think they should stream all movies not just a select few.
    I kinda wonder how/who selects what movies will be "streamable"?? Scratch my head over that sometimes...but for ~$10 a month...it is a bargain.

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

We've been members for about 6 months, we love it. We get 2 DVD's every week and have streamed numerous more videos via a small Atom based computer and now a PS3 attached to our big screen LCD.
    What I like best is the availability of older classic movies and the price just can't be beat.

Four+ year subscriber. DVD turnaround by mail here is 2 days (e.g. mail on Monday, get replacement Wednesday). Good selection and worth the price IF YOU USE THEM. There have been a few periods where we didn't watch enough to make it worthwhile. I have had some quality issues - damaged/unplayable DVDs - mostly with an older player - not so much since I bought a newer deck. For my money, I think it's a better deal than cable because I watch more foreign and indy stuff than commercial first run releases. Have a little experience with streaming on the computer only.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Not sure on how they pick what is streamable. But from what I've read the 1 month delay was a hard fought battle with the studios. Studios wanted to make more money on sales and thought a delay in netflix was the way to go.

We have been a Netflix customer for a few years, although we had a period of time that we stopped the service because we were lacking in time to watch anything. We find it a good compliment to our FiOS TV service and also are utilizing Netflix streaming via our Wii. (I plan on moving to an AppleTV to do that in the near future as the Wii doesn't support HD streaming)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Upfold View Post
    They been doing a advertising blitz here lately...if you have them - what do you think of their service?

Right now we have sat. and I want to drop the movie channels because they are not worth the money.

Thank you

Rod

I use it and like it. Had it for a couple years now. Now that I have some decent bandwidth (~35 meg down) streaming works great on my WDTV. To be honest it wasn't too bad even with my old 2 meg line. The DVDs are good and they have a great selection. You have to wait 28 days after the stores get any new releases... that is somewhat annoying if you really want to see a new release. Their streaming doesn't update very often and doesn't have nearly the amount of things you can get on DVD... still, what they do have has good quality and the idea of streaming is great if you have the right equipment. Supposedly the latest price increase is to pay for more streaming content. I guess they only have whatever the license is that Starz has as far as what movies they can show via streaming. Between Netflix, Hulu, and Playon you don't really need to pay for cable or satellite anymore. Just hook a WDTV or something similar up to your TV and off you go. 10-15 bucks for Netflix depending on the plan you go with, (mine is actually like 20 bucks, 3 dvds out at a time) and I think Hulu is like 8 bucks a month. Playon is something like 40 bucks a year. Thats still a lot cheaper than cable or satellite is around this place, with way more content and not many commercials! Lots of content you can't even get on TV (all the internet shows like You Suck at Photoshop, Ask a Ninja, TWIT and stuff like that)
    Last edited by Bryan Morgan; 12-27-2010 at 11:51 PM.

We get it every winter...and have really enjoyed streaming through our BlueRay player this year. The turn around for disks is 2 days.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan