Thread: Best way to clean cosmoline from G0490X cutterhead

Best way to clean cosmoline from G0490X cutterhead

I just got my brand new G0490X jointer from Grizzly today. I'm looking for a little advice on what the best way to clean the cosmoline off of the cutter head is. I'm definitely happy that there isn't any rust on the cutter head, but the spiral head sure makes the cleaning a little more difficult.

I'm thinking there is some opportunity here for those smart thinkers to come up with a way to prevent rust that doesn't involve grease.

Anyways, looking for some help from those that have been through this before on what worked for you guys.

Blog Entries
    David
    I cleaned with a paper towel then used WD40. I thought I had most of it until I turned it on. Centrifugal force is a great cleaner
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

David ship it to me and I'll clean up the cutter head for you. I'll also go ahead and make sure it is all setup and I'll need to run a couple thousand board feet to verify that and then I'll overnight it back to you. I would take any kind if degreaser or WD-40 and spray it down then scrub it with a stiff bristle brush. Anything left over will come off on your first couple test boards if there is anything left at all.

I usually use WD-40. Degreaser works as well although I prefer "plastic safe" gun cleaner as it seems to be a little more gentle. I mostly like WD-40 because you can spray it on most anything without causing any real problems down the road whereas you really need to stay clear of plastic parts with some of the potent degreasers (brake cleaner, for example...that'll take the everything off of everything).

Blog Entries
    I very carefully wiped off most of it with paper towels, discarding frequently. I then raised both tables a bit and taped a piece of cardboard over the cutterhead opening and fired it up for about 30 seconds. I finished up with a nylon bristle rush and mineral spirits and compressed air.

Plane a lot of wood with it. All those chips will clean it right off.

Wiped off all I could with a paper towel and mineral spirits.
    Changed to a toothbrush and mineral spirits.
    Tape cardboard over the cutterhead and turn it on.
    Change back over to a toothbrush and mineral spirits.
    Run some wood through it and let the chips clean the rest of it out.

David,
    Don't worry about it too much, do the best you can and it will be ok.
    I used the tooth brush and mineral spirits method and then ran a few boards through my J/P and it was fine.
    History teaches us that both men and nations behave wisely,
    once they have exhausted all other alternatives~~Abba Eban

I used WD40 an old toothbrush and lots of paper towels on mine (Christmas gloat).
    Carefull, those cutters are sharp.

Steve

10. Kerosene

It works, stinks, and is expensive to buy by the gallon at a hardware store!

What about after you run 1000 bf of pine. How do you clean that?
    Paul

The citrus degreasers (like goof off) work great, don't smell bad and leave a light oil on the tool. They are also friendly to the environment if you care about such things.

I'll be testing out most of these methods later today!! :-)
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

I found a toothbrush ended up working best. First I used some mineral spirits on a rag to take off the cosmoline from the part of the cutterhead without the inserts, then used a toothbrush and mineral spirits to get it off around the cutters themselves.

David, I have run into the cosmoline thing before. The easiest way I have found is pick up an
    aerosol spray can of brake/parts cleaner from the auto parts store. Spray the the chemical
    over it really well, that cosmoline junk will just melt and run right off....won't hurt the item
    either! After,that rinse the item with simple green or other household cleaner and you are
    done!