Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laguna anyone

laguna anyone

I am looking at purchasing a new band saw. A 14 or 16in sized. I cant find any info thats new on laguna bandsaws on this site. So am I just inept with the search function or does no one have a newer one? I would like any info on laguna that you would have. Thanks to those that can contribute.
    shaun

Hi Shaun,

What info are you looking for specifically? I own an LT18 that is 9 years old and I love it. I have upgraded to the Laguna Ceramic guides and the Baldor motor (both of which come standard on the heavy duty series of saw). I also have the DriftMaster fence, which is awesome. Not much has changed on the HD line other than the two things I mentioned and great resaw capacity (mine hase just over 12 inches with the Laguna guides). If you are looking at the other line of bandsaws Laguna carries I cannot offer much assistance other than I have seen them up close at Laguna's showroom and they seem well made for the price. If you can swing it I think you cannot go wrong with the Heavy Duty line and the 16HD would be a great saw.

Scot

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Shaun, I assume that you have looked at the Laguna Tools website for spec's & pictures.
    http://www.lagunatools.com/
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Shaun,
    I was in the same position this summer. I opted for the 16HD for multiple reasons. It is an Italian built bandsaw, Has 16" resaw capabilities, which is more than I need now but would want to upgrade later. It also has a 4.6 HP Baldor motor, plenty of power for resawing. I just recieved the saw a little over a week ago and just got it set up this weekend. I made a few test cuts resawing some 2" thick walnut into 1/4" veneers and was very impresses at the ease and quality of the cut. Still have to play with it a little more, but as of right now I am very impressed. I will post some pictures in the next day or two.

their customer service leaves something to be desired

happy LT16 owner

I've owned an LT16 for about 10 years. I have been happy with it, but wish I had gotten the 16HD version. I upgraded to the ceramic guides about 5 years ago, but still have the original fence. The saw is very solid and has excellent resaw capabilities, especially when using the laguna resaw king blade, which I have had for about 8 years. It is an awesome 1 inch wide, carbide-tip blade, but expensive. I think I paid $250 for mine, but it is worth every penny. Some people will complain about Laguna service, but I have no complaints and have dealt with them often over the years. It is a smaller company than you might think and I believe they try hard.

They have lots of videos demonstrating their equipment and I suggest you check them out on their website. Again, I am happy but would probably save my money if I had to do it over and get the 16HD and maybe also the drift master fence.

Good luck

It seams most the reviews I found where older ones. 7 years old or so. I was hoping to get some ones take that has bought one this past year or 2. My local woodcraft has become a dealer and has one on there floor. Its the 14 suv version. I have a rikon 14in but after seeing the laguna my senses perked up. I am sure they would let me demo it in there store as they have great customer service at my woodcraft. I am a hobbiest but I dont want cheap tools that require lots of tweaking. It comes with 3hp lesson,14in resaw,ceramic guides plus a few extras features. How are the blade changes and guide adjustments after? Easy and fast or a pain? I really hate changing mine on the rikon. Thaks again

The older saws and some of the newer saws are made in Europe by ACM. Some of the older ones might be Meber. If you get a newer European made bandsaw, you will likely be very happy.. Some of the new Laguna saws are made in Asia. I think they are distinguishable.

If your looking at a 16" .. you might also look at the MM-16.

Had a email from Minimax this morning, year end sale. The S45N 18" is 2295, and the MM16 is 2895. My MM 16 wheels are amazingly heavy, looked at a friends new 17" Grizzly extreme series, amazingly light wheels, and it is a good saw. Would think the S45N would be plenty heavy. The webs in my bandsaw wheels are about 1/2" thick, the Grizzly about 1/8". How heavy do the wheels need to be? My cooks bandmill wheels are much lighter than the Minimax. And I've cut boards 2' wide on the bandmill.

Another satisfied Laguna LT18 owner since August 2001. Not a single problem out of it, other than lack of time to spend in the shop. Back in '01, their bandsaws did not come with the ceramic guides, but I have since upgraded to these guides, and it is a really nice improvement over the standard Euro-style guides. The newer versions come with American made Baldor motors also. There was an article in one of the latest issues of American Woodworker magazine that covered the LT14SUV. Lots of features in a bandsaw of this class. Worth a look.

Wow, at the MM16 price why not just get the 24" Felder at $2995 or the Agazzani B24 at $3095?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Had a email from Minimax this morning, year end sale. The S45N 18" is 2295, and the MM16 is 2895. My MM 16 wheels are amazingly heavy, looked at a friends new 17" Grizzly extreme series, amazingly light wheels, and it is a good saw. Would think the S45N would be plenty heavy. The webs in my bandsaw wheels are about 1/2" thick, the Grizzly about 1/8". How heavy do the wheels need to be? My cooks bandmill wheels are much lighter than the Minimax. And I've cut boards 2' wide on the bandmill.

FWIW, I am a happy owner of a 8-9 year old Laguna HD16. Upgraded to ceramic guides a couple of years back. Have resawed a fair amount with success.

Jim

Go with the one you like. It seems like I read hundreds of posts about bandsaws before I decided on the minimax (MM24). The one reason I did was the supposed poor customer service of Laguna. Well, I had an issue with the minimax and I didn't think the service was all that stellar. Most of the posts on the minimax are several years old and minimax is now owned by another company. Things have changed (for the worse based on the older posts)

Anyway, I say all that to say that Minimax, Laguna, or Aggazzani are all good bandsaws and it's a crap shoot whether you are going to get a good saw or have to struggle through less than stellar customer service with them. In retrospect, I probably would have bought the Laguna.

~Todd

Blog Entries
    Shaun, those smaller Laguna bandsaws are made in Taiwan and IMO you might as well buy a Grizzly and save yourself some money (especially given Laguna's history of customer service problems). If you are looking at the 16HD or larger saws then they are all excellent. Comparable products would be Aggazzani from Eagle Tools and the Minimax saws.

As Steve indicated, look at Felder and the Hammer N4400 bandsaw.

All of the above are Euro machines with Felder customer support which is top notch.........Rod.

The 17" N4400 is on sale over the Christmas holidays and comes with a blade brake, 4 HP motor.