Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power tools from CHINA............

It isn't that the average person can't afford a high priced, quality tool. Most can.

The difference today is that the average person getting into woodworking (or any hobby) today wants to start with a shop full of all the tools.

I remember when my father got his table saw. My mother got it for him for Christmas. It didn't come with a motor, so he used it with an old refrigerator motor. For some later occaision he got a genuine tablesaw motor. Over the years he slowly acuired more quality tools. Much was done with Rube Goldberg setups, but everything got done.

Today we [myself included] all want not only a selection of router bits, but a router for each bit, so we don't have to go through the trouble of changing bits.

Maybe "He who dies with the most tools (toys) wins" should be changed to ...
    "He who dies with the best tools wins"

That would take a major shift in mindset.

2. There was a time when I would not purchase anything made in China. I wanted "Made in USA" and nothing else. I bought what I thought was some of the best for what I wanted to do with it. One day I bought a new router with a well known brand name stamped on it. Paid a good price for it too. I used it for a long time and was very pleased with the way it performed. Some time later, when I was cleaning out the shop and storage area, I came upon the box the router had been packed in. I save those things in case I need to return the item. To my shock, printer on the box in plain English.....you guessed it....."Made in China".

There is little else that can be said. Try to buy the best quality you can afford and forget about where it is manufactured. It will likely be China no matter what the name on the box/tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I would go by the brand name and brand reputation more than by where the product is assembled or made. If its a DeWalt it was designed by DeWalt, not China and it will be a good tool. Made in USA doesn't mean its better in anyway (unfortunately). Times have changed and that's the way the global economy works now.
    Hmmmm...respectfully ,I find that statement to be humerous. Call me a "hobby historian" if you will, but as I recall:
    1 Magellan was participating in the "global economy" when he was killed in the Philippines.
    2 Christopher Columbus was looking for India when he sailed west (global economy prospects).Columbus was "outsourced" from Italy by Spain)
    3 Gunpowder originated in China and global trade enabled its spread around the world.
    4 The America's were colonized by spain,england,france etc,for the global economy(gold ,silver,chocolate,tobacco coffee and more.
    5 The slave trade was a BIG TIME global economy.
    6 Japan decided to attack the USA in world war 2 AFTER we objected openly to their
    invasion of China and embargoed any more raw material shipments to Japan.
    7 The Boston tea party was a dumping of imported tea into the harbor.

The more things change (over the last 5 centuries) the more they stay the same.....only the terminolgies have changed.
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !

Folks,

I will remind you that politics are not allowed at this website. That includes international politics.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    What makes you think/believe that items made in China are automatically the same?

People really need to get away fro this line of thinking...
    +1 not many if any hand tools made in the US anymore BUT you have plenty of European options from Bosch, Festool et al

I believe the Makita sliding miter saw is manufactured in the U.S. and is a fine product. This may be the product you'll want to buy.

Blog Entries
    You will be hard pressed to find any of the products listed in this thread that are entirely made within one country. The motors may be built in Mexico, the raw ore from Russia, the castings made in Vietnam, the machining in China, & the final assembly in the US. It is extremely rare for all the parts of the tool to be built within one country or factory.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    You will be hard pressed to find any of the products listed in this thread that are entirely made within one country. The motors may be built in Mexico, the raw ore from Russia, the castings made in Vietnam, the machining in China, & the final assembly in the US. It is extremely rare for all the parts of the tool to be built within one country or factory.
    Correct. The important factors in a final tool's quality are:
    1) Quality of build materials (e.g., purity of steel, good lacquer on motor windings, etc.)
    2) Final level of machining (e.g., ways ground to within 0.0005" and heat hardened)
    3) Quality control of the assembly process

Who throws their namebadge on it at the end of the assembly line, what country does the assembly or shipping, etc. mean little if any of the above three items are ignored. #1 means nothing for a quality motor core if #3 is crewed up and the assembler keeps nicking the lacquer off during winding. #2 means nothing for a lathe bed if #1 is screwed up and the iron is of highly impure.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I think the problem is most Americans don't want to pay for quality tools that are made in an environment that are up to OSHA standards and that pays their workers a living wage. It's hard for any American company to make good products and pay their overhead with that attitude. Good products more money to make, there's no way around that, and you get what you pay for.

Luckily, most tools at HD and Lowes are geard toward Harry Homeowner who's standard of accuracy is about 1/100th of a woodworkers so they can get buy with the lower end tools. Accurate, high quality tools with a long life have a cost associated with them.

Unions and bad management and unrealistic wages and benefits created a price vacuum, and the Chinese filled it. That's the sad truth. We brought this on ourselves. You can have lawyer wages and Cadillac benefits and a cushy pension, and you can resist automation and efficiency, OR you can have a company that stays in business. You can't have both. The free market is like the laws of physics; it always wins in the end.

When I started shopping for big tools, I heard the "buy American" and "old iron" lines, and like an idiot, I listened. I ended up spending $3,000 to put a 40-year-old Clausing lathe with "very light use" (the dealer's phrase) in my garage. It looks like they rolled it here, end over end, from the New England dealer's place.

The seller was a revered machine dealer, whose name I will not mention. He sold me a machine with the wrong motor. He also sold me a bunch of Japanese mikes which were ruined, and when I tried to get them replaced, he hid like a scared kid, refusing to answer my calls and emails. I got no warranty. I got no accessories, except for a live center and a chuck. The lathe was belt-driven instead of the variable speed model the seller advertised.

I started looking for things like follower rests and steady rests. The prices for this old junk are beyond belief, and it shows up on Ebay once in a blue moon. Some machine dealer offered to sell me some metric gears for the Clausing. He wanted hundreds of dollars. I told him to forget it. For that kind of money, I could get an electronic lead screw and do ten times what his ancient, hard-to-use gears would do.

If I had bought a Grizzly, I'd have a 17" swing over a gap, instead of 12" all the way down. I'd have a warranty, lots of accessories, and customer service. I wouldn't have had to buy a VFD.

When I looked for a mill, I found Ebay and the online dealers to be a waste of time. The best deal I could find around here was a Bridgeport that looked like it had been hit by a bomb. The price as $4950, and they were not interested in negotiating (which is probably why they still have it). They also had a bare-bones Millrite, which would have been only slightly overpriced had they thrown in delivery. With the $400+ cost of delivery added, the price was too insulting to pay.

I ended up paying a few hundred dollars more for a Taiwan-made, Chinese-assembled meehanite mill with a big table, a DRO, power feed, and a variable speed head. My vise is Taiwanese. My rotary tables are Taiwanese. Most of the other stuff is Chinese. I love it.

I'd be happy to pay 20% more for an American product. But three times as much? Five times as much? I'm not willing to do that. This is a hobby, not a job. If I had to pay that kind of money for my tools, I wouldn't buy them at all. A lot of people who would otherwise be unable to get into metalworking and woodworking have been able to buy in because of the low cost of foreign tools.

Chinese stuff is getting better and better. A lot of it is as good as or better than American, and it's going to keep improving. A few years from now, you'll be able to buy a quality Chinese car for half the cost of a Ford. The companies already exist, and one of them is run by a guy who makes Thomas Edison and Henry Ford look like morons. He already beat Toyota in the Chinese market! If people are crying about routers and lathes, wait until the car industry gets hit. The UAW and the Big Three will either cease to exist or take drastic cuts.

We should have been preparing for this with automation and reform. Instead we buried our heads in the sand and told each other Americans were the master race. Unfortunately, Asians have better educations, work harder, accept lower wages, and take more pride in their work. It's amazing that they didn't bury us years ago.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Unions and bad management and unrealistic wages and benefits created a price vacuum, and the Chinese filled it. That's the sad truth. We brought this on ourselves. ... It's amazing that they didn't bury us years ago.
    Well that's uplifting! Happy New Year!

Sorry. I just get tired of being criticized for buying Chinese stuff.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    Sorry. I just get tired of being criticized for buying Chinese stuff.
    Steve, your main post brings up some valid points - yes there is plenty of blame to go around - but we can look at the bright side...many of us have machines from overseas, but we are all making stuff in the USA!