Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker visit with George Wilson

Creeker visit with George Wilson

I just got back from spending Christmas in Williamsburg VA. And while there had a very enjoyable (but too short) visit with George Wilson.

I had a great time at George’s shop. In fact, I was so enthralled with what I was seeing and what we were talking about, I almost ENTIRELY forgot to take pictures George is kind of a night owl, so I went to see him around 9:00PM and didn’t leave until about 11:00pm. George, as I’m sure you know, does some amazing work (even more impressive in person than they are in pictures) and he showed me a number of guitars he made, or was in the process of making. Then he took me out to his shop. George has one of the biggest and best equipped privately owned shops I’ve ever seen. He’s got a fully equipped wood shop that takes up the space of about a two car garage, then his metal/machine shop takes up about another four cars worth of space (complete guestimate on my part) Not being a machinist, I will admit to being a bit lost when he was describing his various machine tools and their capabilities, but it was fascinating anyway for what I could pick up.

George also has an amazing collection of wood, and other materials. He has some pieces that had me floored and wondering if I could possibly make it to my car without George noticing I hope someday I can find pieces like that, and that I know what to do with them if I do ever find them.

George was very accommodating and generous with his time. I would have liked to be able to actually watch him work on some things, but time just wouldn’t permit that.

Then armed with some insights and tips, our visit to Williamsburg was very enjoyable. Although with four youngish kids in tow, we felt like we barely scratched the surface in our two days of walking around. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we upgraded our two-day tickets to annual passes, and plan to go back in the spring (when it's a bit warmer).

Thanks a bunch to George for your generosity, and thanks to all here on the Creek who provide your knowledge and inspiration to those of us who aspire... I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and all the best in the coming year!
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

George better watch out or he will have more visitors that Colonial Williamsburg. I enjoyed Colonial Williamsburg a few years ago but I think an afternoon with George would have been even more interesting!
    The Plane Anarchist

Anyone who wishes to visit just let me know. Glad you got home safely,Don,with the snow,and all. In the Spring,we'll remember to take pictures if you wish to re visit.

BTW George, I did find the videos online, and I'm about half-way through them.

For any interested, Williamsburg made a video of George and his journeymen making a harpsichord and violin. I couldn't find it at the gift shop, but it's available online in six parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjByJ...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5btI...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PkrT...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Cmt...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwBcz...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Cjz...eature=related
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

My wife and I visited in early December for Grand Illumination. Our last visit was Christmas of 2008. Back then, there were lots of rumors of cutbacks to the historic trades, but on this visit I was pleased to see this that they opened a new Joiner's Shop in the old Gunsmith building and moved the Wheelwright's out of an open shed near the Palace stables to an actual enclosed building. There's also a pitsawing area set up at the Great Hope Plantation area, but they only do that on Fridays (we were there Sunday to Wednesday).

While in the Joiner's Shop, I was able to inspect a very large crown molding plane with G. Wilson stamped in the iron. They had a few Nicholson style benches and a smallish Roubo style. I took a lot of pics, but I can't seem to locate the cable to upload from my camera since our move a few months ago.

In the Wheelwright's Shop we witnessed a very disturbing demonstration of board thicknessing with a hatchet. This guy was very good and I wish I would have taken a video but I can't imagine how many fingers have been lost over the centuries using this technique.

Like you Don, we purchased a full year pass and would like to return in the spring when the gardens are in bloom. George, do you know of any special events the CW runs in the springtime?

Bill

I can't think of any offhand. You must remember that I was isolated from Historic Area doings from 1986 till 2009,being in a behind the scenes area as toolmaker. I had been in public for 16 years,and was not inclined to keep up with what was going on in the "outside" any more,except for forums or other events we made special tools( like the ellipsograph) for.

If I find out anything,I'll try to remember to post it. You are welcome to visit me,too,Bill,if you wish.

Those videos are amazing. I wish Colonial Wlmsbrg would make more of those. George, your and your colleagues skills are humbling.

For some reason I haven't looked into,Wmsbg. has not made any more craft films since mine. I think it is an omission that they never did one on the cabinet maker.The film producer in Williamsburg in the 70's had a lot of influence,and the president of Wmsbg. at that time saw to it that the producer got whatever he needed to make the films. He retired some time after my film,which was in 1974.

Now,they concentrate on their "outreach" computer programs.

You guys might want to check out the DVDs in the Williamsburg "Archive Series". I have a couple of these videos, and they are pretty good, albeit rather dated in some cases. http://www.williamsburgmarketplace.c...9/dvd_archive/

Great videos!! Thanks for posting the links.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)

I should have mentioned that George's instrument video is the extra feature on the "Music of Williamsburg" video. At least from the description, I think it is the same video that has been mentioned (on youtube). The "Forged in Wood" video has some great footage of a very young Roy Underhill leading the construction of the blacksmith shop.

Thanks for sharing those links to the videos! It is awe inspiring to get a small glimpse of you working George! It's a shame that CW didn't continue to make films, I think it is pretty amazing to get a peek at the process. I was pretty young when I went to visit, but I am sure it was pre 1986. Maybe I got to see you in person, I have a feeling that visit to see Williamsburg probably played some role in my interest in woodworking, mechanical things etc. Hopefully one day, I will get a chance to come visit you and pester you for a spell.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Roy Underhill did do a show in my shop years ago. I don't know if it is available anywhere on the net or not.

Rick,you aren't that far away. Don Peterson is in Florida,and he made it up.

Yeah, I might have to try and take a trip this summer once school gets out. It's been awhile since I have left Florida, and it seems to be getting about that time to see some different scenery!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Let me know when you are coming.