Thread: Let the adventure begin ..

Let the adventure begin ..

Wanted to say hello from Wisconsin …

Been a scrollsawer for a number of years and have been wanting to try wood turning, so …. bought myself the Delta 46-460 as a Christmas present. Looking forward to learning from the experienced experts on this board.

Currently reviewing a Barry Gross's “Learn To Turn” book and a Richard Raffan's “Turning Wood” DVD and … looking to get with a local turning club.

Tom – the turning adventure begins

2. Welcome to the Creek, Tom!

The Vortex has gotten you! Prepare yourself for a lot of fun, and an empty wallet! You will find that this craft will take you high, and then at times break your heart......but that is part of the allure of it..........who wants no adventure in their life, anyway!

Mostly you will find a rewarding and frustrating experience.......how can it be both? Well it is the nature of the Vortex..........just accept it, and repeat to yourself ......."it will be okay, its just a piece of wood!"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

And another gets sucked in...glad im way different then the rest of teh folks around here!

Great lathe and welcome to the...dare I say it...Vortex!

Don't let these guys scare you Tom. OK, I might live in a cardboard box, but I have this really cool lathe and all these neat tools and toys . Welcome and enjoy the ride.

5. Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    Don't let these guys scare you Tom. OK, I might live in a cardboard box, but I have this really cool lathe and all these neat tools and toys . Welcome and enjoy the ride.
    Rose colored glasses there, 'eh Bob?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Welome Tom. It is indeed an adveture. You have made a good choice on a lathe -everyone that has one loves it and those that don't would love to have one. Your definitely on the right track as far as joining a club, it will really accelerate the learning curve! Enjoy the ride.
    Tom

Welcome;
    You will have a good time. I highly recommend that you find a local mentor and join a club. It is possible to learn turning by yourself but it takes a long time that way.

Welcome Tom! Memorize the following, you will need it: Hello, my name is Tom and I am a toolaholic....

Seriously, you have picked a great place to pick up invaluable knowledge from the vast array of turners on this site. I am sure we all look forward to seeing your future endeavors!

After you have been here a while, we will inform you of the twelve steps in the program!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Tom, glad to have you on the round side!! We look forward to seeing some of your first turnings!

Howdy and welcome to the club!
    mj in nm

Tom,

Take a photograph of any money you have in your wallet. Have an 8"x 10" printed, frame it and place it on the wall above your lathe so you can remember what money USED to look like.

Turning is a never ending learning process. Welcome aboard! Turning is the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking world. Enjoy the ride.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tom - Welcome to this side of the Creek! Looking forward to watching your progress in turning! Have fun and if you have any questions - it's why we are here!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome Tom! Sorry to hear about your financial loss from joining the spinny crowd.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That's a great lathe ... Enjoy! Then buy more tools, then buy a bandsaw, then buy a vac system, then buy a coring system .... Then buy a bigger lathe ...
    Just speaking from experience here!
    You'll love it! (heh, heh, heh, we got another one! )

Welcome Tom. If you're looking to join a club you can check out the Milwaukee Area Woodturners. We meet on the first Monday of every month at Woodcraft, you're welcome to join us. A good group of turners, very helpful.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein