Thread: Dust Collector vs ShopVac

Dust Collector vs ShopVac

For small hand tools (track saw, router, ROS), is it better to hook them to a HF dust collector or just into a ShopVac?

I've got a 4" gate above my workbench (I know, it should be 6, but this is what I have room for right now) and I'm wondering if it's better to use a 4-2 1/2 reducer there with a shorter 2 1/2" hose to the hand held tools, or if I should just hook them into the ShopVac (a Ridgid in this case) with a longer 2 1/2" hose.

Thoughts?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    IMO, you want velocity over volume for dust/chip collection in most, if not all power hand tools. My Fein T3 shop vac does a very effective job with all of my power hand tools. I also don’t want to hear my DC if I don’t have to.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    IMO, you want velocity over volume for dust/chip collection in most, if not all power hand tools. My Fein T3 shop vac does a very effective job with all of my power hand tools. I also don’t want to hear my DC if I don’t have to.
    Heh, though if he's got the same Ridgid shopvac I have, the dust collector might be the preferred sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Actually when you neck down a DC the velocity increases. All that aside, what you really want is good static pressure suction that will overcome the static pressure resistance created by a small hose- that means shopvac! A shopvac will pull from about 60" (Shopvac brand) up to almost 100" of water (Fein Turbo II/III and Festool). Most DC's max out at around 10" - 12"!!!! DC's are just not designed to operated with small duct or hose.

One thing that I've done to quiet my Ridgid vac on occasion is to click a hose onto the exhaust port.

While increasing the "drag" on the system it SIGNIFICANTLY quiets the sound of the motor.

I've never bought the Ridgid MUFFLER but it might work.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    I've never bought the Ridgid MUFFLER but it might work.

Jim
    Jim, save your money... the muffler makes little difference sound wise.

I bought the Ridgid muffler, tried it once, and threw it in the garbage can. Did not reduce noise.

All my muffler did was reduce the air flow.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Heh, though if he's got the same Ridgid shopvac I have, the dust collector might be the preferred sound!
    I've got the allegedly quieter Ridgid, but you're right, the dust collector would've been the preferred noise. I'm not sure which one is actually louder, but the pitch of the DC is so much less annoying. Looks like I'm supposed to use the shopvac anyhow, so I guess it's not really an issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always amazed at the collective knowledge here.

You can always do this if you don't need to roll the vac around too much. It is MUCH quieter: