Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious - what does a detached shop structure cost?

My 40x60 shop cost a total of $34,000 12 years ago. As I remember it was about $10,000 for concrete, including the 16x20 extra pad for an RV. The steel building was $13,000 plus $5,000 for installation. They all say you can do it yourself, but I said no way. The balance went for insulation, heat and air, and a small bathroom - sink and toilet only. I imagine today it would be $10,000 more./Users/tomclark/Desktop/shop.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 12-29-2010 at 9:33 PM.

I've got $1700 in my 20 x 30 poll shed with concrete pad underneath.

I plan to build the same size and general construction (enclosed of course) this spring for my dedicated shop. I did all the work on my poll shed myself, and plan to do the same for my shop. I've got about $5000 estimated for materials so I'm thinking that will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by david blakelock View Post
    Victor, I just completed a detached shop. It is 25x40 so a 1000 sq. ft. I had it roughed plumbed as well as electric runned from the main and had them put outlets through out the shop. It has a small bathroom with a shower, toilet and sink. It also has an oversized garage door even though it won't be used as a garage, but I did that for resell. I also ran a concrete driveway from my existing driveway back to the shop. It is insulated and has plywood for the interior walls and drywall on the ceilings. I did none of the work myself. The total cost for everything was right at $45K. I could have done it cheaper but we wanted the style of the garage to match the main house, thus we have nice siding on the garage as well as certain architectural features which drove up the costs. So to answer your question for a 1000 sq. ft. detached workshop the cost is right at $4.50/sq. ft. As has already been pointed out the main cost was the slab. Down here in Texas we have a problem with the ground swelling so I had to do a post tension slab rather than just a regular slab. That was not cheap. Good luck!

David

David, I think that you misplaced a decimal point.... don't you mean $45.00 per square foot, and not $4.50????

Scott, yes you are correct I missed a decimal point. I wish it was $4.50 per sq. ft. not $45 per sq. ft. Good catch.

I think that asking what a detached shop would cost is like asking what a car would cost. Entirely too many variables to get an apples to apples comparison. I know one person that recently had a prefab shed delivered and had his nephew run power to it and came in about $8500. That works for him. My shop is about 12 years old and I did nearly all the work myself. I've got about 1600 s.f. and two stories and my costs were just over $35000. A neighbor had a 1200 s.f. single story shop built for them and spent $85000 for it.

My best advice would be to get an idea of what you want (square footage, any specialties, types of buildings you'd consider) and then go from there to get some estimates.

I am planning a ~30x36 to start any time now and my budget is set at 30K to cover budget creep, my actual number is 25.

This includes:

site prep
    concrete
    stick built 10ft walls
    200 amp electrical
    insulation
    drywall
    paint
    vinyl siding
    17' garage door
    one man door
    4 windows
    concrete coating
    trim
    paint
    30 yr shingles

All the exterior work to be contracted all the interior including electrical will be me. I can build it as a "shed" with no inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I am planning a ~30x36 to start any time now and my budget is set at 30K to cover budget creep, my actual number is 25.

This includes:

site prep
    concrete
    stick built 10ft walls
    200 amp electrical
    insulation
    drywall
    paint
    vinyl siding
    17' garage door
    one man door
    4 windows
    concrete coating
    trim
    paint
    30 yr shingles

All the exterior work to be contracted all the interior including electrical will be me. I can build it as a "shed" with no inspections.
    Oh man...with all the good advice/help you dish out here Van, I'm expecting one hell of a workshop. Better post progress photos/updates...