Thread: Assembly Tips for a New Powermatic 14" Bandsaw???

Assembly Tips for a New Powermatic 14" Bandsaw???

All,

I need some help and advise on how to assemble my brand new Powermatic 14" bandsaw with Riser (OK, small XMAS gloat). It was delivered safe and sound in 2 large heavy boxes.

First--this is the very first shop I have ever had (I am a wood turner) and its definitly the first bandsaw I have ever had to put together. So far I have assembled the mobile base and unpacked the bandsaw base on to it.

Now comes the hard part--tackling the rest of the assembly. So lots of questions...

1. This seems like a 2 person job, or can 1 person handle the bandsaw head and assembly?
    2. Is there any writeup or video available showing how to manage the assembly?
    3. My plan is to convert the machine to 220 but just use a seperate shoplight (plugged to its own 110V outlet) rather than buying a 220V bulb. Anyone see an issue with this approach.
    4. Any other advice on how to make sure the saw is setup and working correctly?
    Thanks in advance

Joel, I dont have this saw, but unless you had a career as an East German weight lifter or a sailor who can rig up pulleys to set a mast, get a helper!

I really looked a that saw and remember reading a bunch of posts on putting it together with the riser. Bit of a struggle, but most are and you only do it once! Search here and the web - maybe even youtube.

P.S. I ended up buying a saw I could take home with me vs shipping one. It has to be one of the best looking bandsaws around and that little air puff thing is pretty cool. Enjoy!

Joel,

I have that same saw and reassembled it myself (I bought mine used and had to disassemble it to get it home), including adding the riser block. I'm not an East German weight lifter, but I was able to do it all by myself. A helper would have been welcome, however.

Two things I'd say about adding the riser:

1) The air tube on mine just wasn't long enough to reach the motor (where it gets its air) with the riser block on, so I removed it all together. Hopefully yours will be long enough.

2) The blade guard is not all that steady when extended way down (e.g. when you're working with thin stock lying flat on the table). Make sure you secure it as well as you can and check the alignment so the blade doesn't rub against it. I can't think of too many better ways to dull a blade. DAMHIKT.

I really love this saw, though. Congrats on your purchase.

Joel, I'm not EG either and don't even have a PM, but my old delta 14" has been moved a lot, and always by me. One man can do it, but he'll be a little sore the next day.
    Mick

Joel - I assembled all my shop equipment by myself. I bought a 1 Ton chain hoist from Harbor Freight for $45.00. I then put a 4x4 over three or four rafters, and assembled the equipment. Made it really easy, safe, and I could do it at my speed, which is slow. Good luck and be careful.

You can always send the 2 boxes to my house and I will put it together and test it out for you. I can keep you informed on how well it's working whenever you need an update.LOL... One person can handle it but it would be alot better for 2. Once the lower part is together sit your riser block in place. Then have a helper there to hold the upper part in place while the long bolt is added to hold them together.Once the upper part is sat on top it's really not heavy at all. It's just a matter of keeping it balanced while the bolt is added. Tighten things up and make a few adjustments and add your blade. I've put 2 bandsaws together and it's not bad at all. Good luck and we cannot wait to see the pics.
    Donny

Yes, let us know if you find any pit-falls! I have to put mine together next week!
    Marty

I saw a Video on youtube for installing the riser block.