Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you hit the "wall" with your bandsaw?

When do you hit the "wall" with your bandsaw?

For some time, I have been contemplating the decision of wheel size for my first bandsaw purchase. My goals:

Buy one once - no regrets (or at least minimize them)
    See above
    Buy quality
    Really understand what can or cannot be done with a particular wheel size to aid in my decision process.

So, if one were to hold all things equal, such as resaw capacity (let's say 12"), horsepower (let's say 2 to 3), power requirements (let's say 220v), not be concerned with accessories (fences, guides, table size, etc).... I really would like to know what makes one size bandsaw more versatile than the next.

After reading many posts that have comments such as, "after I bought my xx size bandsaw, I wanted more". I am trying to figure out what type of woodwork really does beg the upgrade. As we go up in size, what type of project/task will I then be able to do?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Happy holidays and new year!

-Tim
    Last edited by Tim Brodeur; 12-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.

I think that the biggest bandsaw you can afford is the way to go. For me, a 24 inch size seems ideal. Resaw capacity is one limiting factor but the other one is the throat size. With a larger machine you will have more space between the blade and the column. This helps when crosscutting and also when making some curved cuts on large workpieces. Large bandsaws can also handle larger blades (as well as smaller blades), but the opposite is not true -- smaller bandsaws cannot always handle larger blades. For me 12-13 inches of resawing is plenty. If I were turning bowls or milling logs into boards I might want more. However, I have run into issues with the throat depth. I have an 18 inch bandsaw and if I were starting over I would get a 24 inch.

Scot

When looking for a dust collector, 2 hp some times means 1.5. After narrowing the search Id research the motored and still get a 3hp if I had the wall plug and cash.
    It would go well with a wider blade and cast iron wheels. I have a 17 inch and haven't used it to much yet and yes id like it bigger. Its nice to have a second smaller B.S. for quick utility stuff though.
    Last edited by raul segura; 12-28-2010 at 11:43 PM.

I am firmly convinced there is no such thing as the perfect bandsaw. If you buy a big machine, 12 inch resaw for example, then you have the wrong blade on when you want to do any kind of fine detail or scroll cutting. Or the reverse can be true.

So my simple answer is to buy 2 bandsaws. One a resaw monster, and the other a benchtop model for finer cuts.

I personally have the monster (Grizzly G0514) and a Delta Shopmaster. Next step will be to replace the Shopmaster with either the Rikon 10 inch, or an older used saw.
    Wood'N'Scout

Really depends on what you do .. If you like working with rough lumber and milling it into the pieces you need, a larger saw like 24" is great. I have a 24" with a 5hp motor and it cuts lumber much better and safer than my Table saw.. Resawing is easy, but it does not handle a small blade well at all.. It could be that I need to do some work to it to run a small blade, but I don't like changing the blade that much anyway..

I did a bunch of built-in closet shelves to fit in corners, so was cutting diagonal sheet goods. I found that it was incredibly dangerous on the table saw without a slider, and ended up using circular saws and jigsaws to cut these 36" diagonal sheetgoods sections... it was a real pain. I wished I had a larger band saw throat to allow me to cut these on what I considered the perfect tool for it, the band saw.

When I shopped for a larger band saw, I knew I wanted to have a throat at least 18" to allow me to do similar diagonal cuts (18" deep from cut to corner on a 36" wide shelf). I have a ton of closets to finish out. I ended up buying a 20" Agazzani, but had planned on a 19" G0514X2 until I found a smoking deal on craigslist.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

You need to think of what you will do and what other tools you have to do the same job. Dave would like a larger bandsaw to cut those diagonal shelves. I would go directly to the Festool track saw for that cut. Woodworking gives us lots of choices and you have to make your own.

I have a 14" PowerMatic and for "me" it works well. I bought the riser block about three years ago, but I've yet to install it. I don't do a lot of resawing. However, if I was buying today I would probably look at one of the steel frame models that have larger, native, resaw capacity.

As was mentioned above, if you go with a large machine to do large resaws, you will probably not want to swap out that blade everytime you want to cut some curves. Swapping blades, unlike a tablesaw, requires a bit of setup/adjusments each time.

My advice, unless you plan on 2 bandsaws, is to forget "bigger is better". Instead, think seriously about what you do now and what you might do in the future. Then, buy the size that best fits "YOUR" needs. As in the example above, a big saw would cut those shelves, but if you have another, possibly better, way to make those cuts you don't need a bigger bandsaw to acommodate that operation.

I think that one issue that is often overlooked is the saws ability to adequately tension bigger blades. I've got a 24 inch agazzani, which is a pretty well put together saw, and I can crank up the tension on carbide blades so that they just cut whatever is put in front of them. And the big table is nice also.

If I could choose one tool to splurge on, it would be a bandsaw.

For less money, in my opinion the old bridgewood pbs saws seem hard to beat. Italian quality, on a Chinese budget.

Tim, it all depends on what you plan to do with your bandsaw. I, for example, have a 14" 1 hp bandsaw. For my current projects it's perfect. Recently I saw a demonstration on bandsaw boxes. They look like they'd be a lot of fun to make, but making them seems to require using two different blades. The guy doing the demonstration suggested that having two bandsaws was the way to go. In his case he had two 14" machines. If I ever want to do some resawing I've decided that perhaps a 20" or 24" Agazzani would be the best way to go. I've seen them demonstrated locally at Eagle Tools and was very impressed with the quality of these machines.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I would buy one of the 14's and use it for few years. When you start to need more capacity, pick up a larger saw and keep the 14 for scroll work.

I went this route and keep two band saws set up. The larger saw is left set up for resaw while the 14 has the narrow scroll blade on at all times.
    It's great and a walk up and cut solution for everything I need to do on band saws.

I have a older Delta 14 and a 16" Walker Turner. Both with gear boxes.

The WT has a 12" resaw capacity but if I had it to do again I would skip the gearing and buy one of the beautiful older Crescent 'C' frame saws in ~32" to serve as the larger machine.
    All my needs are met with the existing gear excepting having one of those 'C' frame saws gracing the shop.
    Maybe three band saws is the way to go......
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 12-29-2010 at 12:52 PM.

I'd go with a used 14"er from Craigslist if I was unsure of what I needed. Something like the Delta 14" since there's a wealth of information out there specifically about it. If you move up and decide on only one bandsaw, you'll get every penny back from a used saw purchase. There's lots of saws in little ol' Denver. Must be zillions on a Northern NJ or NYC Craigslist.

When do I hit the wall - at about 36' from the blade.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Resaw, resaw, resaw--bah, humbug! Unless you're sawing veneers or huge bowl blanks, resawing is vastly overrated. What a big bandsaw will do is give you a big table and a big throat. The first will let you rip big boards safely, the second will let you cut big curves in big pieces of wood or sheet goods. My 30" saw is a dream to use for almost anything. I keep my 14" saw (with riser block, from before I knew better) around only to cut little stuff, since starting my phase converter is a hassle for one or two cuts on the big saw.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Poore View Post
    Resaw, resaw, resaw--bah, humbug! Unless you're sawing veneers or huge bowl blanks, resawing is vastly overrated. What a big bandsaw will do is give you a big table and a big throat. The first will let you rip big boards safely, the second will let you cut big curves in big pieces of wood or sheet goods. My 30" saw is a dream to use for almost anything. I keep my 14" saw (with riser block, from before I knew better) around only to cut little stuff, since starting my phase converter is a hassle for one or two cuts on the big saw.

Kirk
    I end up needing 3/8" stock often enough that splitting 4/4 boards on the BS is a good way to go with the expensive woods I work with.

With you on the "bah, humbug" though.

-Patiently waiting for that time in life where it is reasonable to swat the youngsters with a cane.....-
    Last edited by Tom Rick; 12-29-2010 at 3:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Tim, a properly tuned saw of any size and power will be able to cut wood (with a good blade). The larger saws with more power (and longer blades) allow you to cut -faster- but not necessarily better. Table size can be fixed by building a large table top and mounting it to the saw. I have seen people cut thin veneers on a 14" saw without any problems. Of course, you can cut those same veneers about 3x faster on the big machines.

Actions that -require- a large saw:

- resawing large bowl blanks for turning
    - Cutting large patterns (large throat depth required)
    - requirement of resaw speed or long blade life for a production setting
    - Using the bandsaw to rip up to the throat depth (table saw is of course a better option here)

I have a LT18 and have never required additional capacity. However, I am not into turning where additional resaw height might be an advantage. Most of my pattern work is for table legs or for other similarly sized patterns; they could easily be done with a 14" saw.