Thread: Life span of shellac flakes

Life span of shellac flakes

I've got some amber shellac flakes that are about 2 years old. I've never opened the bag, (if that matters) but is it safe to use?? And how can I tell?

I'm assuming, mix the flakes with DNA, test on a scap piece and if it dries it's good to go?

According to Flexner shellac flakes will last for many years and is a good way to keep it on hand. I agree with Jeff, if it dries it is good to go.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Bleached shellac flakes don't have a particularly log shelf life, but ordinary shellac does. I haven't actually seen bleached shellac available in bags. Blonde shellac is different. It's not bleached.

Even if it clumps up, it's still OK to use as far as I can tell. I just smash it with a hammer and use an old coffee grinder to grind it up. I've never had shellac flakes actually go bad on me, but a bag has never lasted me more than a year or two, so it's at least that long for sure.

Where were they stored? For the longest life some finishers store them in airtight containers and then put them into a refrigerator. Treated that way that have virtually unlimited life.

Two years old should not be a problem. Your assumpton is correct. If the shellac dries in 20-30 minutes you're good to go. Be sure to use fresh alcohol.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Be sure to use fresh alcohol.
    Will do Howard, I've got some really fresh Coors light in the fridge.

I'll stop by the hardware store and get some for the flakes too.

I just mixed up my last batch of shellac flakes. I 've been storing it in the fridge for 8 years..dissolved with no problems, dries just like the day I bought it.