Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blotch control and cherry

blotch control and cherry

I have been asking questions of finishing cherry. Scott, yourself and Woodcraft have given us a lot of info. I am currently building a hall butler. The base is 20" high X 25" deep X 46" wide. The sides and front are solid cherry done in raised panels. The top is 60" high X 15" deep X 46" wide. Again, sides and front are solid cherry. Sides are raised panel, front is face frame with 3 cherry raised panel doors. A flip lid on the base, appr. 10" deep X 47" long. As much work as this has been, it seems the finishing will be the hardest and so far the most frustrating. We are considering this product, "Blotch Control", that you have been discussing. Any idea how much of this would we need? Also, is there anyone else out there who have tried this product. Thanks John

I can't vouch for Blotch Control, but I think this article in FWW might help inform your technique/decision.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Skill....aspx?id=31063

check this video on blotch control by charles neil. It will tell you all about blotch control http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../9/IfCYMdrP8rM

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I just used it on a bookcase that is about 7' tall X 32" wide X 12" deep + 4 shelves. After 2 coats, I still have a little bit left in the quart can.

I watched the blotch control video... very interesting, I'm going to order some and try it out, looks like it's a good product.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

What's attractive to me about it is that on particularly blotchy woods (like cherry, for example), even blonde shellac for blotch control can itself leave some darker areas. I think the blotch control stuff is essentially a glue sizing product with some stuff mixed in to let it take a stain evenly. Those old timers like Charles just make everything look so easy!

I've gone through about a quart of the blotch control and it works very well. I highly recommend it.
    In an economy dependent on debt-based consumption, inflation is absolutely essential to reduce the real costs of servicing old debts so households can afford to buy more stuff on credit.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
    - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
    check this video on blotch control by charles neil. It will tell you all about blotch control http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../9/IfCYMdrP8rM
    After watching this video I decided to try Charles Neil's blotch control on a cherry vanity I am finishing. It works great!

Does amyone know how this blotch control works with just an oil or oil based finish? I can see how it works great if a stain or dye is applied, but for cherry I'm typically going with oil/shellac/wax or oil/varnish finish or some combo of these, and I like the instant color the oil imparts. If I could still use these without the blotch, that would seem to be a miracle cure. But if this blotch control keeps the wood from absorbing the oil, then I have a hard time seeing it work for these finishes. I'd be interested in others experience.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I have never tried the application you describe ... it seems it would be counter productive. The Blotch Control SEALS the surface in order to do it's job .. and the oil needs to PENETRATE in order to do it's job. Sounds like a conflict to me, but you can email Charles Neil to get his take on it.

I have used mohawk oil penetrating stain over TT vintage maple (water) with 2 coats of CNBC (Charles Neil Blotch Control). No problems, in fact I had to thin the stain significantly to get the color I wanted.
    In an economy dependent on debt-based consumption, inflation is absolutely essential to reduce the real costs of servicing old debts so households can afford to buy more stuff on credit.

The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.
    - Tacitus

I pay extra, and a lot extra for cherry with blotches. Why would I want to hide them?

quilted cherry is very attractive. In my eyes anyways. So is curly cherry. You don't want variation? You want uniform appearance? Say it with me. M. D. F.

Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Hmmm, I think general statements about 'blotch' being good or bad may be over generalizing. Not all blotch produces nice (in my eyes), ribbonlike curls. Some produces irregularly shaped blobs that (in my semitrained eye) don't look nice. So, I respect efforts to control it.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-07-2011 at 10:36 AM.

ouch.

Guess the smilies didn't get through?

Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Sorry, Tim. No offense intended! . I am NO EXPERT, and probably shoulda added a couple smileys m'self.... . I re-read my post and toned it down a little; I added some blotch control, as it were...