Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joiner Plane ? (Clifton\Lie Nielsen)

Thanks for all the replies....
    I am just too scared to spring this much for the Clifton now....if only I was near a place to put my hands on one it might be different...also still not too clear on what the big differences between chip breakers are..
    So I suppose I will stay with LN...
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

My favorite jointer is C&W's 30", lovely plane that actually helps do joinery with its size, several inches high. But also good is the ECE Primus, a normal 22" or so, which would save you piles of money and also has great height.

Pam

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Michael, if you post your location maybe somebody near you has the Clifton and will let you try it in person. I have both the Clifton #7 and a LN #8 if you are near So. Cal.

I am in Southern Indiana...not much around here....

But thank you very much for the offer!!

I wish I could sneak off to Cali for that!!
    "Simplicity is at the heart of so much that is fine"
    James Krenov

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer View Post
    My favorite jointer is C&W's 30", lovely plane that actually helps do joinery with its size, several inches high. But also good is the ECE Primus, a normal 22" or so, which would save you piles of money and also has great height.

Pam
    No to highjack the tread but...
    The only jointer I have is an old Stanley #7 so I don't have anything to compare it to. Are you saying that more height is an advantage? How come? Does it help you keep the plane plumb (if that's the right word) and therefore the edge you're jointing square?

I own two Clifton's and with out any doubt buy the LN
    I got mine for 1/2 off when WC closed them out and still think that price was high for the quality..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    No to highjack the tread but...
    The only jointer I have is an old Stanley #7 so I don't have anything to compare it to. Are you saying that more height is an advantage? How come? Does it help you keep the plane plumb (if that's the right word) and therefore the edge you're jointing square?
    Yes. I'm not sure of all the reasons why, but it's easier to assess the taller height. Yes. Yes.

Also, the wooden jointers are much, much lighter than the metal, which I appreciate, kind of easier to adjust as you're going along.

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Niedermayer; 12-29-2010 at 8:11 PM.

I own a Clifton #7 and several Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley products and I am curious what advantage Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen have over Clifton? Im sure that if you bought a Clifton and didnt like it you could return it.

I primarlily use bevel up planes and have been slowly getting rid of my bevel down planes but I am keeping the Clifton. It does everything I ask of it (and I cannot afford a LVBUJ right now!!). I really like the chip breaker and blade. I am no pro at sharpening and I have no idea what kind of steel Clifton uses but I can get that blade extremely sharp and it just works.

I have nothing against Lie Nielsen or Lee Valley products and if you buy a Lie Nielsen you can rest assured that you are getting a top quality product that you wont regret but I have to respectfully disagree with other comments stating that Clifton is a notch down from Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen because I dont see it and my plane works flawlessly.

The issue isn't whether or not they're any good when they're right, it's that they aren't always that, and there have been a couple of long threads from folks who had them not right and were not able to get satisfaction because the retailer sent the buyer to deal with the manufacturer, and the manufacturer described how they would take care of the issue and then didn't do it.

I have handled them, not been able to put them to wood, but thought they were very tasteful planes. I do recall someone mentioning that a new one they got was 7 thousandths hollow in the length, separate of the long description of issues that i'm referring to in my first paragraph (on woodnet a couple of years ago). Regardless of how they look, if some are not right, the manufacturer isn't in the US, and the retailer sends you to the manufacturer, you are not going to get the same satisfaction guaranteed, beginner or advanced.

If i had a chance to go over one that was used, and it was right, I would probably buy one, but I wouldn't buy one new because the scuttle about inconsistency has driven the used price down quite a lot - something you don't have to worry about with LN or LV.

It irks me a bit that they're grey cast, too. not that you can't make a good plane with grey cast, but that nobody else making premium planes uses something so fragile.

Here is an artical on Cliftons
    http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/c...P/clifton1.asp

Whats better about them?
    A) LN has a website and an email address and phone # not just an address in the UK
    B) Better materials unbreakable CS vs breakable CI
    C) Better fits and finished
    D) my chipbreaker can't be 1/32 from edge unless the adjusting knob is almost screwed off the stud

Here is another article about Clifton Planes.
    http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article.asp?a=917
    Last edited by Jim R Edwards; 12-29-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Michael:
    I don't own, or have ever used a Clifton, but own several LN and LV tools and planes.

What I still can't get over is the re-sale values of LN; that if nothing else is a huge factor - for you or the next guy who pays you 85% ( or more )
    of retail if you decide to sell. Virtually unheard for hand tools of any kind.

JMHO - Dave Beauchesne

On the other question; i
    am an inveterate #8 user and I'd advise anyone to put one in their arsenal. An 8 will do it all. For levelling the mouth of a box, for example, the longer the better.

I was going to say buy a nice Stamley Bedrock 607 but checked prices at eBay and they are selling for about $300 allmost in good condition..

So option 2 is buy a very nice Stanley No6 or Keenkutter No K7 NOT A KK7 and add a aftermmarket blade

The K7s are older 607s made by Stanley for Keen Kutter and sell for less than $125 but often need some work..

Spend the extra money on smaller LN models

Anyone who wants a 607 would do well to sign up for the fine tool journal tool sale notification. 607s usually go on there for about $150 or less, but you have to order them when you see them (and not wait), because they're gone a few hours after the FTJ sale notice is posted.