Thread: christmas present gloat :D

christmas present gloat :D

i gave a few gifts i made in my shop this year, and got woodworking tools in return.

i got a neat ridgid OSS and some clamps which i desperately needed. i got two pony 3/4 pipe clamps and two irwin quick clamps (24").

yesterday i went to menards and picked up two sections of 36" black pipe for the pipe clamps. my wife did not understand why i needed to go buy pipe for the pipe clamps she had bought me, she thought i already had some pipe that needed to be clamped, bless her heart.

i gotta say, i wish stores would not put all those stupid stickers on the pipe. the stickers on my pipe were a bear to get off initially, and then the resultant goo fought me tooth and nail. the first pipe took me an hour to get two stickers off and cleaned and the second pipe i used what i had learned from the first pipe and it took only half an hour.

at that rate 10 clamps would be an all day project.

the stickers were so stuck on that mineral spirits wouldnt budge them unless i cut strips off of the stickers with a knife, like a potato. i tried peeling the stickers off, nope. i tried scraping them off, nuh uh. cutting little strips and soaking with goo gone and following up with mineral spirits did the best but it was slow, and that was just for the sticker part - i then had to clean the goo off.

in the end my pipes went from black pipe to bare metal pipe, are quite clean and look nice. i stopped at lowes and their black pipe is really black and has no stickers; i wonder if it is different? the paint is different and they are $1.50 more for a 36" pipe.

the ridgid OSS beats my "drum in drill press" hands down. i got good stuff.

You should enjoy the new OSS and can never have enough clamps.

Stickers can be a pain. I've found that waving my propane torch about 6 inches over the sticker will release the sticker from the adhesive. Once the corners come up, it will usually just pull right off. Then I just rub a handful of dust from the ROS into the glue to dry it out, then take the glue off with whatever I have around like a knife or chisel. I use the same method for stickers on metal and wood, never had a problem.

Sometimes WD40 will help in removing the leftover goo....
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I've found that Goo Gone works great for removing the sticky stuff.

Congrats on the OSS!

+1 for Goo Gone. Its in the shop, garage, and the kitchen under the sink. Very handy.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.