Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best clamps for pressing/clamping large panels set up’s?

Best clamps for pressing/clamping large panels set up’s?

How is every one or should I say what is the best way to clamp up large panels with multiple boards to make panel glue ups and not get the panels to have the lifting or shifting of the high and lows in the panels without using biscuits or dowels for alignment and such. Basically only using clamps? I know there are the Plano clamps but from what I have read they are only so affective. What clamps or tricks do you use? If recommending clamps please keep in a relative perspective of cost effective price point, I know you can get some really high priced machines that would solve this point/ question. (Plano clamps are in the price range)

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

take a look at bowclamps.

+1 for bow clamps or clamping cauls like Mike Henderson shows how to make. I suggest you route slots in the backs of the cauls ala Bowclamp to prevent yr clamps from slipping off. Or use long bolts with washers and nuts to pull the cauls together.

Not sure if you can get them in Michigan but I use frontline panel clamps, dont think I can post a link, but if you google them you will find them.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I snug the panels up and then make any minor adjustments to alignment with hand/finger pressure before I put additional pressure on the assembly. Your parts should line up well during dry fit. If you are trying to force you panels into positions they don't want to go in, resolve your fit problem. Its easier than using something to exert your will onto boards that don't go together well. Invariably, once the clamps come off, the panel reacts to the imposed stress and behaves badly anyway.

JMHO and worth every cent you paid for it ;-)

Don't get me wrong. We've all "inspired" the occasional ill fitting joint in the name of expediency on items that deserve that sort of attention ;-) If you are really cranking things out and are looking for speed, there are systems that the pro shops use that really help. In a production shop's case it is not a matter of forcing something ill fitted, it is a matter of joining well fitted parts in a quick and reliable manner. Some of those rigs are really slick.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-29-2010 at 6:33 PM.

I like to use biscuits, but if you dont want to. Try the use spring clamps on the outside pipe or bar clamps(or what every clamps you use) on every board your gluing it helps to keep flat

Curved cauls you can make is the best answer. I have clamped up panels for 40 years with these with perfect registration. I mill my stock to finished thickness and only have to scrape the glue off and sand. I've done panels 4' x 8' single handed in one clamping session and never use biscuits or dowels. The cauls are used in clamping carcases and other situations. Easy and fast to make. I'll give Zig credit for marketing his bow clamps but if you can't make cauls, you can't make panels. It's the same system for gluing up veneers that has been used for hundreds of years.

Have used commercial clamp racks in factories, Plano clamps, Larry's ckamp and the other so called panel clamps available. The curved cauls can't be beat and the other nice feature is it works with existing clamps every woodworker owns... pipe or bar clamps and F or quick clamps. I prefer the simple approach of less tools is more. Few people seem to know how to maximize their existing tools.
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 12-30-2010 at 5:08 AM.

JLT clamp rack.

I've got 2 sets of the Panel Max Pro from ptree and I like them alot. Basically a copy of the Planos but a good copy. I posted a thread on talkfestool. Its really nice and saves a grip of time and space. You still have to start with flat stock though as it doesn't have the pressure to straighten a warped board.
    Bow clamps and other cauls do work but are difficult to use with only 2 hands and burn up time when your racing against the clock.
    I am extremely pleased with them.
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    JLT clamp rack.
    +1

They are rockin.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Google Larry's Clamp. That might do it. I have yet to see any clamp solution that yields dead flat ridge free panels 100% of the time. There is a reason wide belt and drum sanders are so popular.

Thanks for all the responses, here’s my take of the systems given:

JLT Clamp Rack: I used to use one of those types of systems when I worked in a cabinet shop. They do work for large scale production and cost a fare amount of money. (I only do a few panels at a time not into big production jobs) they still has a degree of shifting but you can glue up panels very fast.

Panel Max Pro: from what I have read they are exactly the same as the Plano clamps but made in Taiwan or china instead of Europe were the Plano’s are made.

Larry's Clamp: I currently have a good array of regular clamps and I think this would be a good companion with my currant clamps. One thing I would be concerned about is if the stock was on the thinner side it may have too much presser and snap the panels.

Bow Clamps: I think they would work similar to the “Larry Clamp” but at a lower price and with a lot of other uses as well. but I think they would be harder to get set up on larger panels with the glue setting up?

Frontline Panel Clamps: these look similar to the Panel Max Pro and the Plano but with the extra down pressure of the Larry Clamp or the Bow Clamps. (Just what I was talking about/looking for) I see on their web site you have to call in to see pricing. www.frontlineengineering.com.au

Joe what kind of prices does Frontline get for their clamps? Not sure how long you have had yours but they look pretty good. How well are they built? And how much downward pressure do they put on the wood? Have you used them on thick and thin panels?

Thanks Richard

I have done a lot of different panels over the years and am not criticizing any of these systems just looking for the easiest and most cost effective way for doing a few panels at a time.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

[QUOTE=glenn bradley;1596204]I JMHO and worth every cent you paid for it ;-)

Glenn what does JMHO stand for??

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

New member and old thread = update?

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Thanks for all the responses, here’s my take of the systems given:

JLT Clamp Rack: I used to use one of those types of systems when I worked in a cabinet shop. They do work for large scale production and cost a fare amount of money. (I only do a few panels at a time not into big production jobs) they still has a degree of shifting but you can glue up panels very fast.

Panel Max Pro: from what I have read they are exactly the same as the Plano clamps but made in Taiwan or china instead of Europe were the Plano’s are made.

Larry's Clamp: I currently have a good array of regular clamps and I think this would be a good companion with my currant clamps. One thing I would be concerned about is if the stock was on the thinner side it may have too much presser and snap the panels.

Bow Clamps: I think they would work similar to the “Larry Clamp” but at a lower price and with a lot of other uses as well. but I think they would be harder to get set up on larger panels with the glue setting up?

Frontline Panel Clamps: these look similar to the Panel Max Pro and the Plano but with the extra down pressure of the Larry Clamp or the Bow Clamps. (Just what I was talking about/looking for) I see on their web site you have to call in to see pricing. www.frontlineengineering.com.au

Joe what kind of prices does Frontline get for their clamps? Not sure how long you have had yours but they look pretty good. How well are they built? And how much downward pressure do they put on the wood? Have you used them on thick and thin panels?

Thanks Richard

I have done a lot of different panels over the years and am not criticizing any of these systems just looking for the easiest and most cost effective way for doing a few panels at a time.

I have been a member for a while and only leached off valuable info and never contributed. My apologies.
    In looking for a better way to clamp panels, I have read this thread a couple of times and am leaning towards the bow clamp.
    I called the one U.S. distributor for the Frontline clamps and discovered that one clamp is $350 each! I nearly needed smelling salts to keep upright, but that is in fact what the price is. If you buy more than one the price goes down 5% each.
    http://www.globalsalesgroupllc.com/c...ng/panel-clamp

I think they have the best engineered metal clamp that won't bend, but at that price...

For nearly half the price I can purchase the Bow clamp deluxe package.

So that's my update. I will do my best to contribute as much as I read as this is a great website and resource.

Brett

Mike Henderson's cauls. I have use them over and over and they have yet to let me down. They are easy to make, inexpensive and will last a life time. He has a site that shows how to make them.