Thread: Butcher Block Counter Top Finish

Butcher Block Counter Top Finish

What does everyone use to finish rock maple butcher block counter tops? I would like to use something very durable that lasts. Counter surface will mostly be used as an eating surface (like a kitchen table).
    Thanks.

Diluted varnish for me -roughly 50/50. Lasts a long time and it's harmless.
    Some info here..http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/finish3.html
    The Woodwhisper also has info on it. http://popularwoodworking.com/articl...butcher_block/

Finish

I would call an endgrain surface a butcher block but I'm guessing that your maple surface is more like a bowling ally surface - long strips of radial grain maple glued up.

I made a kitchen for a client like this about 15 years ago and applied conversion varnish. Except for a few dings the finish is as good as the day I installed the counter tops.

Conversion varnish is indeed a bit nasty as far as toxicity goes but the cured film is tough and impervious to just about everything. CV is often used in laboratory settings.

CV can easily be sprayed using conventional or HVLP systems. Sherwin Willaims is one source for this finish.

Thanks guys. Is conversion varnish non toxic after it cures?

>>>> Is conversion varnish non toxic after it cures?

Yes, but it can be nasty for the applicator. Be sure to read and comply with the information in the Material Safety Data Sheet. In our shop we used forced fresh air respirators when applying it. Be careful using it in a basement or other space attached to your house.
    Howie.........

Cv

Howie's right on the money. The stuff is not nice for the finisher but the cured film is OK for your application. Your supplier will provide you with an MSDS report on the product. There is formaldehyde in the mix which I don't like but the end result is worth it in some cases.

I wouldn't consider spraying this stuff in your basement - period.

Would this be a safer option especially for spraying in a garage?
    targetcoatings.com/emtech-8000.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C Brown View Post
    Would this be a safer option especially for spraying in a garage?
    targetcoatings.com/emtech-8000.html
    Yes, but--there always seems to be a "but"--you must be able to keep the temperature of your spraying space above 65 degrees for a couple of days to allow the finish to fully cure.
    Howie.........

So easy you'll feel guilty
    good price at Grizzly:

Howie,
    Do you see any problem with spraying it in the garage, letting it dry to the touch and then bring it inside to fully cure?
    Thanks