Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your Dremel?

Question Do you use your Dremel?

I was somewhat surprised reading the "How many routers do you own" thread about how many people own dremels. So I'm just wondering do you like it?How much do you use it? What "bits/attactments are the most usefull?
    Thank you
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I have several Chad, and use them for all sorts of things. Cutting off small bolts, nails, rod. Drilling small holes, grinding or burnishing small objects, have cut some tile with it. Not something I use everyday but when I need it I'm sure glad I have it.

I use my dremel to finish fit drawer slides to the cabinet frame. Seems the easiest soultion to fitting.

Wife uses it to do a little "carving".

Chad,

I love the Dremel, when I first got it I though it wasn't a real tool, but now I use it all the time. Mostly the little abrasive disk to cut nails and what not.

John

Jim;
    How do you "fit drawer slides" to the frame? I'm so interested. What kind of fitting did you mean and which Dremel bits do you use for that?
    David

I use a Dremel for all kinds of metal fabricating and sharpening--making hinges and other hardware, knifeblades, sharpening chainsaws, gouges and other carving tools etc.

The most used bits are my diamond disks and assorted burrs.

With a diamond disk, the Dremel clamped to a block of wood, and the infeed table set at the right height, you can touch up jointer blades and effectively "joint" them the way a production mill does theirs.

Have 2, use them all the time. Mostly for sharpening and cutting off nails, screws, etc.

I guess I have to learn. I have one gathering dust never used in over a year. Its the battery powered one and was a gift...
    Jerry

Ours is relegated to trimming the dog's toe nails!! I do us it to cut off screws/nails or cut a slot in a screw that is stripped out for removal. Jim.

Talking

Funny thing...until last Sunday, I actually forgot that I owned a Dremel! Somehow it got stuffed behind a couple of old toolboxes on a shelf. Sunday, I needed to slice through some 3/8" threaded rod, so I was looking for my hacksaw. I moved a box, and there it was!! I slapped in a grinding disk, and that sucker did the job in NO time. I've used it several times since then, too! I love it!

Keith

I've had one for many years but rarely use it. I could easily live without it.

Dremel is an amazing too! I have used it for everything from sharpening my mower's blades to cutting out outlet holes in 1/4" thick stone. It is well worth the $100 price tag. I also have their "300" piece accessory kit. As usual, 2/3 of those accessories are grinder and sander disks.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Mini Mops

Klingspor makes a product called Mini Mops for sanding tight spaces - carvings for instance. I use mine for that.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Bits with a jig are available to sharpen your chainsaw using a rotary tool at HD etc. Also, Lee Valley sells a diamond bit to put a burr on your chain. Works, great.

15. In my experience, we tend to think of solutions to various challenges in the terms of the methods with which we are familiar and the tools that we have at our disposal. I was first given a Dremel as a gift and really didn't think much of it, it went on the shelf and stayed there for almost a year. Then I was discussing a home repair problem with a co-worker and he said "I would have just grabbed my Dremel." It just hadn't occured to me before that. Now I use it somewhat frequently for small cut-offs, detail sanding and sharpening. Handy tool to have around.