Thread: Source for good turning squares?

Source for good turning squares?

Hi all,

I'm a new poster hereabouts though I've been reading the forums for quite some time.

I'm a novice turner and do most small work on a Jet 10x14 but would like to try some slightly bigger work. Anyone have a good source for turning squares bigger than 2"? I usually buy from Woodworkers Source and Woodcraft online but most of their stuff doesn't get bigger than 2".

-Dave

David, there have been several past threads on this topic, and a couple of searches should give you a pretty good list of providers. 3" is about as thick as you will find most turning blanks, but I have seen some bigger. Ebay is always mentioned as a source, and there are dozens sold there everyday.

+1 to john's statement, plus remember, the thicker the heavier and postage taint cheap. I order from got wood and the shipping is usually 50%. That's alright though, it's well worth it and you will find a link to them on smc.
    Charlie

Ebay, ebay, ebay.

I have got some wonderful stuff there.

Q

Try...gotwood....ive had good luck with them, and they are reasonably priced
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I'm waiting for my 3rd ebay shipment in 2 weeks...Don't forget Mike Smith!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks everyone I will check the places suggested. John, I seem to be search impaired but am working on it.. thanks for the suggestion.

I shop here. Free shipping for $100 orders.

I don't know if I'm allowed to say this here, gut I have a limited supply of (mostly wet) turning squares up to 6 inches. A lot would depend on the woods you are looking for. Priced to move, since I mostly don't use them.
    Change One Thing