Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thickness Planer suggestions

Thickness Planer suggestions

I am considering purchasing a thickness planer and I am looking for suggestions and ideas. I have a home workshop. I make boxes, bowls and platters. Can anyone suggest ones they like and ones they don't like.

Thanks.

David

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, a budget number will get you better responses. For small items most folks prefer a finish (lunch box) planer. They are less expensive and what they lack in capacity, they make up for in noise ;-) I have a De Walt DW734, three knife, single speed lunch box that I am keeping despite adding a 15" spiral headed floor model to the shop.

In your position I would grab another DW734 in a heartbeat. The Ridgid from Home Depot has a loyal following here as well as the perennial bake-off winner, the DW735. Most folks refer to their Delta planers as "Snipe-Master" (as a lampoon of the Delta moniker, Shop Master).

What are you looking for, lunchbox or stationary? I had a Delta 22-580(now discontinued) and liked it. It has the typical lunchbox problems like noise and small cuts. I now have a Grizzly G0453Z 15" spiral and like it mo betta.

for lunch box ones i'd look at the steel city w/helical head other wise i would look at something more substantial. used a friends lunch box planer and knew right then and there i was not ever going to buy one. saved up and bought the hammer a3-31 as i also need a jointer.

Thanks. My workshop is in the garage, so it must be mobile. I am certainly looking for a finish planer, I have a stack of curly maple boards that I would like to reduce in size and make some boxes.

I have a C/man 12 1/2" from some years back. Does a very good job, very little snipe after some experience.
    Pretty loud for such a small machine. I expect any lunch box will be OK, take off a little at a time and 'no hurry'.
    If you have the money, mo money will = better machine.

Best wishes for the NEW YEAR.

I only have experience with the Dewalt 734 Glenn mentioned above but really like it. Does a great job for a decent price.
    The only issue I have is it is a bit loud and I get a lot of static shocks from the outfeed table probably caused by static generated in the shop vac I am using for dust collection.
    I could also wish that the dust collector shield came off without need of a screwdriver so that the outfeed table could fold up easily.

If you want to do curly maple you will need a helical cutter or you will get lots of tear out.

Got a Dewalt DW735 yesterday and it is great! On the slow feed rate position and a light cut, it leaves no planer marks at all. No regrets.

I used to have a DW735 and really liked it. A budget will help us guide you better.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by David Handsman View Post
    Thanks. My workshop is in the garage, so it must be mobile. I am certainly looking for a finish planer, I have a stack of curly maple boards that I would like to reduce in size and make some boxes.
    By mobile do you mean a lunchbox planer or can it be a stand alone with a mobile base. You probably should give a budget as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    A budget will help us guide you better.
    When spending other people's money, have we as a forum stuck to the budget? I recall a whole lot of "If you just spend $xxx.xx more......"

David, give us a lowball figure so we are sure to come in under the real budget.

Budget -- 500-700. But for Cary, that's 300-500!

Thanks.

Thanks.
    I would love to suggest the Grizzly G0453P 15" 4 post planar with its built in mobile base for ~1,100 shipped as I think it is the best long term value by a mile but at your budget the DW735 is probably the best bet. I am reluctant to get on the Steel City band wagon because the helical head has HSS inserts and not carbide. I hate changing knives BUT turning 26 inserts about as often as changing knives would be a serious chore, if they were carbide it would be a no brainer.

Thanks.
    So..... The G0453z for $1500 it is. Actually the Ridgid at $399 gets good reviews. As much as I hate saying this because every location is different(mine sucks), used 4 post stationary planer with straight knives. upgrade to spiral when money allows.