Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: workshop cabinets

I made my shop wall cabinets out of melamine. I used the "confirmat" screws to hold the carcase together. The doors are mdf with some routed detail to look like kitchen cabinets. They are european style (no face frames) with euro hinges. I coated the MDF doors with polyurethane. After 15 years, the still look as good as new.

I kept the width down to 30 inches to avoid sagging in the shelves.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nagen View Post
    Does Tom Clark recommend drawers slides?

GN
    Tom Clark does not like mdf. It is too hard to lift and is far weaker than plywood. I also love drawer slides, with over 100 drawers in my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    Tom Clark does not like mdf. It is too hard to lift and is far weaker than plywood. I also love drawer slides, with over 100 drawers in my shop.
    Tom, I'm very intrigued with your cabinet design. I'll be looking to order your book soon.

Does anyone else have any pictures of their "Tom Clark" style cabinets?

If you are still looking for drawer slides, Woodpeckers twice per year has a bulk sale on metal slides - good prices if you are going to do a shop. Slides are on sale now (I am ordering some for my shop)

http://www.woodpeck.com/

Good luck !

shop grade plywood costs a little more but with either edge banding (do the self stick stuff) or glued 1/4" hardwood on door edges makes durable, cheap stuff. Even at $48 a sheet you can get a lot of cabinets out of it (price the cheap, ready made things at big-orange ... amazing $h!t). The real cost is not in material but in the utility - you WILL ruin MDF stuff in the shop.

Jeff, I am just finishing a project with melamine and am having a hard time making the small brad holes I made while the glue was drying not be seen. How were you able to make your disapear ?

...ron