Thread: Cock beading and string inlay on a drawer front. Which first?

Cock beading and string inlay on a drawer front. Which first?

I'm making the Southern huntboard from a Carlyle Lynch plan in FWW #39. The walnut carcass is finished and I'm working on the drawers which have an applied cock bead and string inlay. I plan on using cherry for the cock bead. This will be the first time I've done string inlay and cock beading. I have Steve Latta's article on beading that was in FWW a few years ago and a few more on string inlay. I also plan to do a few practice runs.

Since the cock bead is applied after the drawer is assembled, it appears to me that you should do the inlay first, assemble the drawer, and then do the cock beading. Is this correct?

Any other suggestions or tips are appreciated.

Hi Mark - The order you described is how I proceed. One caution is to make sure the drawer fits prior to cutting the cock bead recesses. Planing to fit is not the way to go after you install the cock beading. Hope to see some pics when you are done. - JZ

What John said; definitely don't apply the cock beading before doing the inlay (all the way through finish sanding).

Thanks guys. I'll post pics when I'm done (hopefully before Valentine's Day). I missed the Christmas deadline.