Thread: My wife, my greatest machine aquisition asset... ANOTHER bandsaw maybe...

My wife, my greatest machine aquisition asset... ANOTHER bandsaw maybe...

So I have been looking at a fully restored PM 141 (for those that don't know it is arguably the best 14" bandsaw ever made, makes the Delta look flimsy). It is from the Gumby Green with white racing stripe/red Powermatic era. I finally sent the guy a email and kinda hoped he had sold it since I had other ideas for a contour/dovetail bandsaw BUT he emailed back that he had it. Even with my wife's attitude about machines I figured I better mention it since it has only been a couple of months since she went with me to pick up my MM20 and she does know what a bandsaw looks like even if it is 1/3 the size. So I pulled up the "gorgeous" pictures and said I am looking at buying this but I am not sure, her response "how much is it" I told her and she said "you should get it, call him back". Later in the how lucky am I discussion she did mention that her response would have been different if it was $2,000, I suppose it makes sense because rarely are machine and under 2K in the same sentence from my mouth.

Now before I take the plunge I need to find out if it has the standard solid lower side blocks and if so how I am going to deal with them since I am not skippy about thin blades with them. Carter does have guide sets but $200 makes it less of a deal, but man it is pretty and ugly depending on your view point.

I would say you are more blessed with the wife than the bandsaw. But to have both? Merry Christmas!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yep, wife gloats will always outweigh tool gloats.

21 years of gloating and counting...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Don't you need to post some pics for it to be a gloat?
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    Don't you need to post some pics for it to be a gloat?
    Wife, or band saw - which one?

I think both are in order! And does she have 1000 or so sisters...?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Recently, whenever I mention a new major tool, my wife says maybe and then starts talking about the new sewing machine(s) that she wants. I said OK and she should show me what she is talking about.

I got major sticker shock when she showed me what she wants and I saw the price tag. I think that I am in great trouble and better start saving. Oh, and she said that she needs a new laptop to go with it so she can program the sewing machine. Maybe, I should introduce her to the Neanderthal approach to sewing and suggest a treadle sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Wife, or band saw - which one?
    Both would be good.
    Fullerbuilt

Blog Entries
    Kudos on both choices; wife and saw ;-)