Thread: TV stand/cabinet for new flat screen?

TV stand/cabinet for new flat screen?

I am looking for a TV stand for a 42" flat screen, with base that will hold the satelite reciever, DVD, some storage for movies, cds, etc.

Before I spend a bunch of time drawing/designing, I am wondering what is out there or photos of builds. Plans ? Drawings?

Any help/photos appreciated.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Randy, one place is www.plansnow.com You could try a search on the Sawmillcreek site to see what some members have built. I built one a few years ago and posted it. I just took my tvs width and height, added 4 or 5 inches and built from there. I knew what my outside size constraints were, and stayed within them. Whenever I build something, function takes precedent. I want it to look good (keep the wife happy), but I want the cabinet to hold my stuff, in this case a 61" flat screen, my sound system including speakers, books and other misc. Good luck, John

Here's what I did: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nter&p=1040264. Only thing I'd do different is make it about 3" deeper to allow even more room for wiring.

I am building one now for a 46". I do not have pictures yet, but I am taking a little different approach. I am building a arts and crafts display case
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/item...fts-on-display . It is to thin to hold my TV so I added french cleats the the back and will "hang" the TV on a mount that will then rest in those cleats. I will post pictures when done
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Crutchfield has dozens of them on their website. Good place to get some ideas.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/tv_stands.html
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Randy - I built this from plans from Woodsmith Magazine, can't remember the issue, but you should be able to find it on their site. Lots of room for equipment and storage and will accommodate up to a 60" TV. Quite a fun build; a gift for my son.

Attachment 175716TV Stand3.jpgTV Stand1.jpgTV Stand2.jpg

Doug
    Last edited by doug faist; 12-31-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: My photo posting needs work.

I built one for my 42" TV. I looked at several of them at stores and found most of them too low. I want to be able to watch TV in my chair with my feet up and not look through my feet. I built mine so the set is higher off the floor.
    The cabinet underneath is divided so that one side has all of the components behind glass and the other side is a solid door for storage. I left the area behind the components completely open to allow for cooling and it has adjustable shelves. It is incredible how much heat the electronic components put out. In addition, the open back makes it easier to run cables and such. It seems like every new generation of equipment needs more cables.

One thing for certain is to deterimine how you are going to use it and how many electronic components you will put in it before buying or designing. Mine has the cable DVR, amplifyier, and blu-ray.

Here is one I built for a neighbor.
    DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0046_2.jpg

tvcab.JPG
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 12-31-2010 at 11:00 PM.