Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ya' gotta know your limits!

Calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Roger - one other thing to take into consideration - I use a laser! Once you get used to using one - you know where you are at all times while inside the form. Haven't used calipers for a long time - but I do have them!
    Now, just like John K. cautioned me about, I am already getting impatient for my Monster Articulated Hollowing rig/with laser.......and I have only had it on order less than a week............sheesh! You guys put all these pics of such high end turnings, and you must just sit back and laugh........and think to yourselves..............suckers!

I think you are behind the power of the Vortex..........you help create its spin and sucking power, that makes all the other novices like me, empty out our wallets.........but there is one thing you should know.................we all love you for it!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,

It appears that turning funnels is sort of a right of passage. Welcome to the clan.

Because I had not done one myself, I was getting jealous of all the folk who had turned funnels.

It seemed like I was alone in the wilderness, in search of things funnelicious...

So a few months ago I did this: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141158
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Funnels! That's one of the few forms that I seem to excel at turning. Congrats on adding another form to your turning arsenal.

4. Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Funnels! That's one of the few forms that I seem to excel at turning. Congrats on adding another form to your turning arsenal.
    Why David.......a man with the skilled hands of an orthopedic surgeon, such as yourself, excelling at funnel forms...........that is a surprise to me......or do the two skill sets have no bearing on one another?

Roger, I would be remiss if I didn't at least caution you - funnels are still possible with the Monster!! Do not, I repeat, do not lose track of the actual cutting edge of the tool as it relates to your laser. You must change the setting constantly depending on the location within the form, and the direction of your cut. As you are doing the side of a form, your laser will be directly off the front of the cutter as that is where you are cutting. But, as you approach the shoulder, you may be cutting with the left corner of the cutter, and that IS NOT where your laser is! There are many similar situations within a form while hollowing. Plus, you must constantly reset the angle and extension of the cutter and/or change the cutter head or size - again, depending on what is called for in the form.

Haste makes waste - take your time, and think about each phase of the hollowing. It will become second nature, but don't get lax.

6. Thank you John,

I am certainly a novice at hollowing, and I have boat loads to learn...........and those like yourself and Steve and the good-natured DR. Keller and others can certainly speak into my life related to these things. I have been having a good time on the forum with all the back and forth banter, and seeing the great items all the creekers have turned and posted.

If it would not be a imposition on your time, when I do get my Monster rig, if I do have some problems, may I have permission to send you a PM and get your instruction? I appreciate all you and Steve and others have done to further my turning skills...........they have helped me many times!

Roger, anytime!! I have a vast amount of experience at screw-ups, and will happy to share those with you! Email may be better, but either will work.

There is a save for funnels,you can glue on a different kind of wood for the base portion and continue turning and everyone will believe you planed it that way.

Funnels... monsters... lasers... vortexes... Who, hearing these would think the discussion was about something other than a video game?

One thing I can tell you about Randy and delivery dates. They are, like the Ron Popeil "set it and forget it" slogan, not to be taken literally. This guy is a one man shop and he contracts out some stuff so it's easy for him to get a bit bogged down. Patience is the name of the game!
    David DeCristoforo

Roger, I, unlike John will try to make the power of suggestion ring strong and true in your ear and mind...I saw no pics, it didn't happen, it didn't happen, it didn't happen...
    I drink, therefore I am.

11. Pics of a stupid mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Roger, I, unlike John will try to make the power of suggestion ring strong and true in your ear and mind...I saw no pics, it didn't happen, it didn't happen, it didn't happen...
    Okay Mike, I get it!

(edit - all photos removed at request of Roger so he may start a separate thread)

I think a repair would take most of the body, but it might be worth it.....I don't know? I have more of this maple, and I had planned a redo with a new blank, but we will see what develops from the opinions on this board.

okay, pics are moved to a new thread "pics of a stupid mistake" go there and view it, because it asks for action on your part!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-31-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Wow! I, too, have learned about funnels. A beautiful little osage orange bowl became a funnel. Every once in a while I set it where I can look at it from a distance and not see that hole. Still looks nice! David

Roger, the logistics of trying to salvage this one will be tricky!! Might be a good time to consider a segmented feature ring?? I am not sure I would like a plain band around it.

You will need to be able to grasp the top half to turn a flat glue ledge, and Cole jaws should work for that. The bottom can be turned to a ledge easily, and in doing so, you could place the accent ring at the 1/3 mark from the bottom.

Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Why David.......a man with the skilled hands of an orthopedic surgeon, such as yourself, excelling at funnel forms...........that is a surprise to me......or do the two skill sets have no bearing on one another?
    I'm not sure how familiar you are with ortho surgery, but finesse is not a must-have! I use a hammer and power tools more at work than I do in my shop.

JK is right about the monster... It will only make funnels less physically demanding if you don't keep track of the laser. DAMHIKT

15. Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I'm not sure how familiar you are with ortho surgery, but finesse is not a must-have! I use a hammer and power tools more at work than I do in my shop.

JK is right about the monster... It will only make funnels less physically demanding if you don't keep track of the laser. DAMHIKT
    Thanks David...........it takes a bit of humility to speak of our less than stellar performances in this wood turning game!