Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Kingdom for a Bandsaw

My Kingdom for a Bandsaw

So I finally got to the point in the new woodshop where I was ready to order a new bandsaw...The must haves included cast trunion, cast wheels, blade brake and 12" of height for resawing....Did my research, read endless woodworking forum responses, read the fine woodworking review of bandsaws and came to the conclusion that the Grizzly 0513X2B fit the ticket at an affordable price...Today I decided to pull the trigger and order that bad boy so I could enjoy a long winter of enjoyment with my new addition...(I'm pretty excited)...

Little did I realize that it ain't quite that easy to spend money in America these days...

Called Grizzly this morning, went thru all preliminary infor for billing, had the shipping procedure explained and I was ready to meet the truck driver at the road with the tractor and pallet forks at the ready sometime in the next week to 10 days....

UNTIL...

I was informed by the nice lady at the tail end of our conversation that the BS was back ordered and wouldn't arrive UNTIL sometime in MAY...(by my count 5 months from now)....

So much for the "excitement"!

Just wondered.....Any suggestions as to where I might find said BS before MAY?

Does anyone know of anything comparable that I might have missed?

Thanks in advance....(I apologize for my first post being somewhat of a rant)

Tim,

I have the 0513x2 and love it. Didn't feel I needed the brake as I turn it off and walk away...it can take as long as it needs to wind down.

Do you know if she checked other warehouses? I just ordered a 20" spiral cutterhead that was not scheduled to ship until March, she checked the Washington warehouse and now it will be here next week.

For comparable, specs and price the other offerings would be Rikon or Jet (unless I am overlooking one). I briefly looked at the Jet when I was looking but based on price the Grizzly won out. If you considered either one, I think your price may bump up a little, then you consider a bigger bandsaw from Grizzly that may not be back ordered.

Good luck finding a bandsaw...FWIW, I would end up waiting on the Grizzly.

Josh

I would recomend SHOPFOX, very similar and I feel the warrenty is better.
    shopfox.biz

There are several dealers like us, and Woodstock International has a great support staff.
    (although I personally like the old American machines that you can find and restore or are already redone,
    these machines never loose their value.)
    www.woodworkerstoolworks.com

Bobby.

If you can contain yourself, how about throttling back and looking at your local Craigslist? The are often nice used machines at a cash savings. I don't know where you are but the PHX list has a Griz and a Laguna listed right now. I have a Jet 18 that I like a lot but there should be others like Shopfox and Rikon may that fit the bill.

You might want to look over the Steel City 18" bandsaw. There should be a dealer in your area.

There could well be be an option to step up to an Italian model for not that much more money - especially one of the slightly lighter duty models...

ian

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    There could well be be an option to step up to an Italian model for not that much more money - especially one of the slightly lighter duty models...

ian
    You are cold Ian.... I like it.

Three words Agazzani----Laguna----Minimax thats the only three words one needs to know when BS shopping.

Seriously, try hitting up the Griz to check other warehouses, they have three but seem to only check the two closest to you as I assume they are loathe to eat the extra shipping. The problem is if Grizzly doesn't have a Grizzly well you are kinda outta luck.

This is how I ended up with a 1949 Walker Turner 16". I had to rebuild bearings and brushes in the 3hp R/I motor but I didn't have to wait. I really like my saw, but it wasn't much cheaper then buying a Grizz after I got done with it.

Careful. If you're not careful you could end up with a Polar Bear Series 17" Bandsaw advertised on the top of the page for $698!

(OK, I admit it. I saw the ad because I haven't gotten around to contributing this year. I will now.)

edit: done
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 12-31-2010 at 7:43 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Some dude has a big Walker Turner on the Miami Craigslist for $250. I don't even need a band saw, but it's still killing me.

It doesn't matter if it runs. It would look so cool with that Art Deco cast iron painted red and yellow, it would be worth having in the garage just as a decoration.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I went through the same thing except the told me the end of December (I ordered the end of November). I decided that the universe was telling me I needed a bigger saw. I decided to order the 19" G0514x2 which was in stock. With the Christmas sale and the wwj coupon it was a good enough deal I can still sleep at night. They had it to me in 3 days and I've been having a blast/kicking myself for putting off the purchase for so long ever since.

Somebody buy this Walker Turner and get it off Craigslist before it gives me an ulcer. It's gigantic. It looks like 20".

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/tls/2126722217.html
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I wish I had a nickel for every back order story with Grizzly. In the end, any company that runs their beeswax that way is doomed. But it is par for the course. I also wish I had a nickel for every story where the buyer persisted and got their Grizzly tool after being told it was back ordered. Seems you have to press them with no Ifs ands or buts. Try it.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    (OK, I admit it. I saw the ad because I haven't gotten around to contributing this year. I will now.)
    The first coffee spray on the monitor of the new year ;-)

As to stories of unavailable gear; everything I've ever ordered has shown up within days. The problem obviously exists, I've just missed it. Maybe its one of those hidden benefits of living where we chew our air. I too have read of success in pressing for delivery from a different warehouse. Obviously with Grizzly's prices the margin is way narrower than the other Tai-Chi folks. It only makes sense to try to reduce shipping cost when you charge a fixed rate as Grizzly does. On the other hand I have found very little they won't do to make their customers happy. I'd call them and ask.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-01-2011 at 8:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    I went through the same thing except the told me the end of December (I ordered the end of November). I decided that the universe was telling me I needed a bigger saw. I decided to order the 19" G0514x2 which was in stock. With the Christmas sale and the wwj coupon it was a good enough deal I can still sleep at night. They had it to me in 3 days and I've been having a blast/kicking myself for putting off the purchase for so long ever since.
    I missed that one (wwj coupon). Would that be woodworking journal? How much of a savings was the coupon?